diy solar

diy solar

Battery errors on MPPT and Inverter

FredMac

I’m new to the solar world and here is my situation and frustration I’m trying to resolve for r my solar setup for my cabin.

I currently have 2 100-watt solar panels connected to my Renogly 40amp MPPT which is then power by two 100amp Lithium Battleborn batteries that are connected to my Renogly 3000-watt inverter. The problem I’m having is I get a message from the MPPT E1 or E3 for Battery over-discharged or Battery under voltage. I get a Fault Code error message from the inverter 04 Battery Voltage is too low.

The MPPT and Inverter show battery voltage at 11.5 or as high as 13.1. I read everything I can and look at YouTube but still cannot get these systems to run properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Check all your connections. 50% of the voltage issues seen on the forum are due to connection issues.

Cheap fuses can often be the cause of voltage issues also. Remove the fuse and visually inspect it and the fuse holder.

With a infrared gun or with a bare finger, check all wires and connections for heat buildup. Any spot with more heat than other spots is a red flag.

Disconnect the inverter and make sure the batteries are fully charged, ( ideally with an AC powered charger), verify this with an independent volt meter.( not the meters on the Renogy units).
There are increasing reports of poor performance and unreliability of Renogy products.
Depending where you are in the world its possible you are not getting much output from the panels.
To confirm the panels and connections are OK measure the open circuit volts of the panels, ( disconnected from the controller), and if you are confident using the meter to measure current , use the meter to measure the current generated by the panels (set the meter to the 10 A range and connect the probes to the panel output leads).
If the panels are connected in parallel expect the OC voltage to be around 20 volts and the SC current to be 3 to 7 amps ( the absolute maximum would be 11 amps).
With the panels connected in series expect double the volts and half the current.

The idea is to as best you can verify that each element of your system is working correctly.

If you have not got a multi meter then buy one, it does not have to be expensive. If you are unsure how to use the meter there are several you tube guides.

Perhaps post a picture of the layout and connections, it would help to analyse the situation.

Mike

Disconnect the inverter and make sure the batteries are fully charged, ( ideally with an AC powered charger), verify this with an independent volt meter.( not the meters on the Renogy units).
There are increasing reports of poor performance and unreliability of Renogy products.
Depending where you are in the world its possible you are not getting much output from the panels.
To confirm the panels and connections are OK measure the open circuit volts of the panels, ( disconnected from the controller), and if you are confident using the meter to measure current , use the meter to measure the current generated by the panels (set the meter to the 10 A range and connect the probes to the panel output leads).
If the panels are connected in parallel expect the OC voltage to be around 20 volts and the SC current to be 3 to 7 amps ( the absolute maximum would be 11 amps).
With the panels connected in series expect double the volts and half the current.

The idea is to as best you can verify that each element of your system is working correctly.

If you have not got a multi meter then buy one, it does not have to be expensive. If you are unsure how to use the meter there are several you tube guides.

Perhaps post a picture of the layout and connections, it would help to analyse the situation.

Mike
Thank you, I'll check it out and I do have an muti meter. I will send a pic tomorrow.

Back