diy solar

diy solar

Battery evo and big battery

In life I've found that when companies hide themselves under many names its either for "brand name" reasons, or to cover their tracks, and often both.
A really common reason is one name is buying and one name is selling. This keeps who you are buying from separate from who you are selling to, so you don't get cut out of the deal.

"Fred" from battery evo tells me that this product is 175a max, but the product page lists 350a. Waiting on a reply from Fred, but wanted to post this here. I asked him if I could run 175a "continuous" from the 12v 120ah product - which I still cannot figure out.

1670868661806.png1670868687464.png

"Fred" from battery evo tells me that this product is 175a max, but the product page lists 350a. Waiting on a reply from Fred, but wanted to post this here. I asked him if I could run 175a "continuous" from the 12v 120ah product - which I still cannot figure out.

View attachment 124349View attachment 124350
I would guess that the 175A is max continuous while the 350A is max for a very short duration peak.

I don't like running anything near it's max for an extended period.

I would guess that the 175A is max continuous while the 350A is max for a very short duration peak.

Yeah, I think i'm just getting hung up on the nomenclature being so new and all. I heard back from the vendor again and his reponse was basically just to try what i want and see what happens! If the wires don't get too hot then i'm good type of thing... which doesn't exactly give me great comfort.

Yeah, I think i'm just getting hung up on the nomenclature being so new and all. I heard back from the vendor again and his reponse was basically just to try what i want and see what happens! If the wires don't get too hot then i'm good type of thing... which doesn't exactly give me great comfort.
Running electric circuits anywhere near there max will dramatically increase the risk of overheating or even fire. If a single battery is maxed out then it is necessary to put another battery in parallel with it and run them to a common bus bar.

Running electric circuits anywhere near there max will dramatically increase the risk of overheating or even fire. If a single battery is maxed out then it is necessary to put another battery in parallel with it and run them to a common bus bar.
Odd to get that sort of advice from a vendor methinks! Fred is the vendor, the guy in the email above.

Last edited:
Odd to get that sort of advice from a vendor methinks!
It appears you are referring to me as a vendor .... I'm not.

It's up to you to determine what level of risk you are willing to accept with your installation.
I'm just telling you that it is a bad idea to run electric circuits near there max. If you don't believe the risk is real .... look for the up in smoke thread.

It appears you are referring to me as a vendor .... I'm not.

It's up to you to determine what level of risk you are willing to accept with your installation.
I'm just telling you that it is a bad idea to run electric circuits near there max. If you don't believe the risk is real .... look for the up in smoke thread.
Oh, no! Not at all - I was talking about Fred giving me that advice via email. He's the one who said if it doesn't get hot it's good. I found that odd.

Oh, no! Not at all - I was talking about Fred giving me that advice via email. He's the one who said if it doesn't get hot it's good. I found that odd.
Yeah .... That is odd. I can't really speak to the credibility of this vendor ...or lack of it.

I'm just chiming in with my opinions which are based on many years of installing an maintaining various electronic and electric control systems. Designing a system that you know will be running near or at it's max is just a risky idea.
If you are going to run near the max .... every connection and component has to be perfect ... and there is still risk that a bad connection will develop over time from heating and cooling or oxidation. Bad connections can get VERY hot and even start a fire. Even ambient temperatures can become critical. Do you really want to trust that their part of the build is perfect? You will have to be VERY diligent in monitoring it over time and use a heat gun or IR camera so you know what normal is and recognize any change from normal.
I wouldn't be comfortable with a system that is running over 75% of it's max continuous rating .... and would normally leave even more room than that .... more like 66%.

Yeah .... That is odd. I can't really speak to the credibility of this vendor ...or lack of it.

I'm just chiming in with my opinions which are based on many years of installing an maintaining various electronic and electric control systems. Designing a system that you know will be running near or at it's max is just a risky idea.
If you are going to run near the max .... every connection and component has to be perfect ... and there is still risk that a bad connection will develop over time from heating and cooling or oxidation. Bad connections can get VERY hot and even start a fire. Even ambient temperatures can become critical. Do you really want to trust that their part of the build is perfect? You will have to be VERY diligent in monitoring it over time and use a heat gun or IR camera so you know what normal is and recognize any change from normal.
I wouldn't be comfortable with a system that is running over 75% of it's max continuous rating .... and would normally leave even more room than that .... more like 66%.
I hear you and completely agree.

I would only be running it near that max for 2-3 minutes at a time, once or twice per camping day (not many times yearly). Really I just need to know if I can safely go from the anderson plug on the battery to a busbar to inverter and pull 175a at the intervals listed above. And if so, what size wire to go from battery to busbar and busbar to inverter.

My thought is to create an anderson cable with the highest gauge it can handle ( I believe sb175 gray is 1/0). Run that to busbar and then run same gauge to inverter? Any thoughts on that?

I hear you and completely agree.

I would only be running it near that max for 2-3 minutes at a time, once or twice per camping day (not many times yearly). Really I just need to know if I can safely go from the anderson plug on the battery to a busbar to inverter and pull 175a at the intervals listed above. And if so, what size wire to go from battery to busbar and busbar to inverter.

My thought is to create an anderson cable with the highest gauge it can handle ( I believe sb175 gray is 1/0). Run that to busbar and then run same gauge to inverter? Any thoughts on that?

I simply wouldn't operate a connector that close to it's max .... You could always put 2 connectors in parallel.

I simply wouldn't operate a connector that close to it's max .... You could always put 2 connectors in parallel.

Gotcha, that makes sense, and something I hadn't considered. The problem with that is that the connector is built into the battery box and there isn't room for another. My other option is to buy the beefier anderson plug that is the same size, but takes 2/0 and is capable if higher power.

I'm also seeing other people using the sb175 at that amperage without batting an eye, but maybe it's the beefier one.

Edit: this link seems to indicate 280a max, so I may just have read the wrong info.

Last edited:

Did you end up going with those batteries?

Is A-123 still in business? These are listed as new cells but the company went bankrupt a few years ago?

I just purchased 4 at the big sale and now you have me wondering how great of an idea it was. They are for a golf cart and the high advertised current is really appealing for the bms. I will let you know how my experience goes.

Back