diy solar

diy solar

Battery for canoe/kayak applications where weatherproof AND low temp charging cutoff is available. Used for 12V 50lb Trolling Motor

bralee886

There doesn't seem to be both of weatherproof AND low temp charging cutoff combinations out there.. I know the 100ah SOK battery is solid for just about everything besides being weatherproof.. I am a newbie/beginner with LiFePO4 batteries as well as most of what is discussed on this forum, but I am learning.

Application example:
  • 13' Flat-back canoe with a 12V 50lb thrust MinnKota Endura Max Trolling Motor
  • Currently running an Everstart 29DC Lead Acid (EverStart Maxx Marine Battery, Group Size 29DC) which is heavier than hell (~60lbs) and ideally I'd like to have the battery tilted on it's side depending on how much gear is in the canoe.
    • Shooting for a battery less than 30lbs
  • Live in Wisconsin, so low temperature cutoff is important, but not a deal breaker as I will be using this battery mainly Spring-Fall.
    • As long as I don't charge the Ampere Time below 32F, I can still use and discharge it below that if the temps were that low?
Currently looking at the 100ah Ampere Time or CHINS for cost(~$300+). Don't really want to spend the money on a BB 100ah for $800.

Rebel Batteries or AOLithium have also peaked my interest

• Currently running an Everstart 29DC Lead Acid (EverStart Maxx Marine Battery, Group Size 29DC) which is heavier than hell (~60lbs) and ideally I'd like to have the battery tilted on it's side depending on how much gear is in the canoe.

This claims a 60A max draw, so make sure any battery you select can handle that.

• As long as I don't charge the Ampere Time below 32F, I can still use and discharge it below that if the temps were that low?

Most permit discharge down to -20°C

This claims a 60A max draw, so make sure any battery you select can handle that.

Most permit discharge down to -20°C
I think the max draw on the trolling motor is around 50A. So most of the lifepo4 batteries I am looking at is at least 100A.

I'm using the canoe for fishing mainly for day trips, but the occasional "backcountry" camping trip. So I won't ever be charging it while on the boat, only at home where I can easily carry it inside and charge it in safe temps anyways.

No worries. Not much info out there for canoe/kayakers looking for the budget type 100ah batteries.

Check this CHINS battery out on Amazon. It's a little more expensive ($549 w/ $30 coupon applied) than the basic CHINS 100AH battery but it has low temperature charging capability and a Bluetooth app that you can use to monitor the state of charge of the battery, all in one nice waterproof 25 lb. package.

Check this CHINS battery out on Amazon. It's a little more expensive ($549 w/ $30 coupon applied) than the basic CHINS 100AH battery but it has low temperature charging capability and a Bluetooth app that you can use to monitor the state of charge of the battery, all in one nice waterproof 25 lb. package.

is this the same one Will recently reviewed and was impressed with? I don't think I need the internal heater portion. The bluetooth looks great though.

Ended up pulling the trigger on this battery. I am wondering if there are any charger recommendations? I have an existing NOCO Genius 5amp, which does have a Lithium setting... but I've read some reviews that it may not be the best for lithium?

Also curious...bought 2, waiting for install. I have a multi-bank NOCO Genius 10A charger. Reported on my initial charge at https://diysolarforum.com/threads/n...ht-one-yet-torn-it-down-yet.17836/post-451725
Oh, I meant I pulled the trigger on the Smart CHINS 100ah battery. But I'm guessing that a charge voltage of 14.6V (3.65V/cell) is doing damage long term?

I'm just not familiar with charging voltages and whether I should invest in a programmable charger that I can set to 13.8V?

Also, is the NOCO charger going to damage the battery?

Ended up pulling the trigger on this battery. I am wondering if there are any charger recommendations? I have an existing NOCO Genius 5amp, which does have a Lithium setting... but I've read some reviews that it may not be the best for lithium?
I have a Victron IP22 charger but its not waterproof. The IP65 might be a better bet for a boat situation. Bluetooth capability and fully programmable to customize for your specific needs.

Back