diy solar

diy solar

Battery for canoe/kayak applications where weatherproof AND low temp charging cutoff is available. Used for 12V 50lb Trolling Motor

bralee886

Reposting this to the marine section as well. I think there are a lot of fishing people out there that use AGM/Lead Acid deep cycle batteries that would benefit from this conversation. I just don't know how many fisherpeople are venturing to LiFePO4 batteries yet.. but for my application in a canoe it seems like a game changer

There doesn't seem to be both of weatherproof AND low temp charging cutoff combinations out there.. I know the 100ah SOK battery is solid for just about everything besides being weatherproof.. I am a newbie/beginner with LiFePO4 batteries as well as most of what is discussed on this forum, but I am learning.

Application example:
  • 13' Flat-back canoe with a 12V 50lb thrust MinnKota Endura Max Trolling Motor (Canoe has 700lb weight capacity)
  • Currently running an Everstart 29DC Lead Acid (EverStart Maxx Marine Battery, Group Size 29DC) which is heavier than hell (~60lbs) and ideally I'd like to have the battery tilted on it's side depending on how much gear is in the canoe.
    • Shooting for a battery less than 30lbs
  • Live in Wisconsin, so low temperature cutoff is important, but not a deal breaker as I will be using this battery mainly Spring-Fall.
    • As long as I don't charge the Ampere Time below 32F, I can still use and discharge it below that if the temps were that low?
Currently looking at the 100ah Ampere Time or CHINS for cost(~$300+). Don't really want to spend the money on a BB 100ah for $800.

Rebel Batteries or AOLithium have also peaked my interest. DIY batteries scare me a bit as I am not that confident building batteries.

Any other avenues/batteries suggested?

I have a very similar set up and have the same challenges. Did you decide on a battery?
Yes I did. I ended up going with the 100ah smart CHINS battery.

I did a rudimentary capacity test and it pulled the full 100ah. I will be testing it out soon once the ice melts in WI.

I did a fair amount of research yesterday and was also settling on the CHINS smart battery. Some of the previous reviews of their "non-smart" 100ah batteries on this forum give me pause, but I'm hopeful that they've improved their manufacturing practices with the new version.

Have you decided if you're going to put your Chins battery in a battery box in your canoe? If so, have you decided on one?

update on trolling motor usage on a 3-night camping trip: (monitored battery power through bluetooth app on my phone the whole trip)
  • Motored into the campsite which was about 2.5 miles in. Using power level 30/100. Drawing around 3-5amps. At this speed I could go for around 20 hours I estimate
    • Canoe was loaded with two 200lb guys, and probably 200 lbs of gear.
    • I was ALSO towing another canoe into the campsite that tied a rope. (was still pulling that little amps)
    • Not significant wind or current.
  • used up around 10% battery getting in to the campsite
  • Fished and used the trolling motor every day to fish and motor back up wind for drifts. As well as trolling along shorelines.

• Last Day I also Motored out of the campsite. This time using power level ~50/100. Drawing around 6-7amps. you could tell it was a bit faster than the 30% power level. We estimated about 2.5 miles per hour at this speed (STILL towing the other canoe out)
    • Canoe was loaded with two 200lb guys, and probably 150 lbs of gear on the way out.
    • Headwinds hitting us on the way out.
  • Ended the trip with 30% battery level.

Very impressed with LiFePO4 and how much better it performed than Lead Acid.

Hi,
Excuse my bad English, i'm french...
I use a 12v 40Ah Winston battery with a home made (from China) DC speed controller not very efficient and a Coulomb-meter to monitor input (when charging) and output (current Amps, remaining capacity, remaining percentage, voltage) when using.
I use a Minn Kota 40 Lbs, and I've removed all the motor's original mechanical power variator to plug directly on the DC speed controller by a potentiometer and trying to have better efficiency (supposed and verified).
I've build a motor support to adapt my Minn Kota on a Gumotex Solar inflatable kayak 2-3 persons.
@ around 2.5 knots, with two people on board on the river (problems of current sometime), I can use the battery for 20 kilometers.
I'm very impressed too with the LiFePo4 !
Ad I can charge it from a normal car battery charger at home or directly when driving in a normal litghter plug.
I use this battery from 4 years without any loss of capacity.

Back