diy solar

diy solar

battery hookup - 12v 100ah Lifepo4 Kit w/ BMS & Low Temp

wiseacre

Solar Addict
I have neither the knowledge or experience to build my own battery but this kit seems simple and priced low enough to tempt me.
https://batteryhookup.com/products/new-12v-100ah-lifepo4-kit-w-bms-low-temp
another listing has NEW CASE OF 4 BATTERY HOOKUP 3.2V 100ah MODULES and states they can be wired in series to make a 24v battery
8 modules (2 BOXES) in series for 24v

no mention if the 12v finished battery is able to be wired in series and then parallel.

While the kit come with a BMS for a 12v battery there is no 8s BMS available. I prefer to build a 24v rather than a pair of 12v since I'd want to build a couple 24s and just keep the combination to parallel set up.

can anyone recommend a smart BMS with cold temp cutoff I can use
How to wire the BMS to this type of kit would also be welcome but I'd ask Battery Hookup for directions/instructions before buying.

Bottom line:
I'm just asking if this is a feasible/reasonable idea.

I think I'm getting my head wrapped around this now. The packs were throwing me off.
Instead of the 12v kit with BMS I should go with just the packs needed to build a 24v battery and buy an appropriate BMS.
  • I need to think of each pack as a separate cell
  • the ring terminals on the wires equate to the threaded holes/studs on a prismatic cell
  • BMS wiring would then be to the appropriate set of ring terminals (looking at the connection as if they were a bus bar connecting cell terminals)
  • Using a Overkill 8s, 24v BMS will take care of my concerns of wiring additional builds in parallel, having a low temp charging cutoff and more options than I can imagine at this time.
  • No compression needed
It still sounds too simple and inexpensive. Roughly $600 for a 100Ah, 24v battery beats the pants off any drop in I can buy. It may not look pretty but I'm assuming the quality would be there. Instead of spending $1029 for a SOK and ending up with only 100Ah I could spend a couple 100 more and end up with 200Ah ?

Is this reasonable or am I missing something as a complete novice?

I stumbled across this listing as well, very tempting from a price point.

Have you reached out to Battery hookup to see if they can do a custom order and include one 8S BMS with 8 “cells”, or just offer you to buy 8 cells then source your own BMS?

What are the downsides of the cells they are using? Higher weight and bulkier format? Should still get >3000 cycles out of them no?

I stumbled across this listing as well, very tempting from a price point.

Have you reached out to Battery hookup to see if they can do a custom order and include one 8S BMS with 8 “cells”, or just offer you to buy 8 cells then source your own BMS?

What are the down sides of the cells they are using? Higher weight and bulkier format? Should still get >3000 cycles out of them no?
I reached out and got an unsatisfactory response about "instructions". David Poz is supposedly going to post a build but I believe they meant he already did using the battery cells and not the packs.

There is a post with some builds using these packs:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/just-purchased-4-battery-hookup-3-2v-100ah-modules.18775/

Battery Hookup has no 8s BMS in stock. I'm looking at one from Overkill.

The packs are made of 2000 CYCLE RATED CYLINDRICAL CELLS.
20 cells in a pack -each pack weighs 6.5 Lbs. - Not sure how that compares to a single 100Ah prismatic cell.

I like the idea of not having to worry about compression and the ease of connecting the packs

Did you end up pulling the trigger on these? I'm looking at these same cells to make a 48V 100Ah battery pack. At this point I have 2 concerns:

1) Just by looking at the product images, those ring terminals seem kinda small for their rated 100A continuous / 200A peak, no? They say the rings are sized for a 1/4" bolt and nut for fastening. That just seems small to me.

2) I wonder how hot these packs get when they're discharging near their continuous limit, and whether it is ok to pack them tightly together. In my application I would need 16 packs so I would lay them into 2 horizontal 4x2 layers.

I would probably go with a 16s Overkill BMS.

Oh that's nice. Is this Amy Zheng? Did you PM her directly? I see that I can get many good options on powerwholesale.net. I read somewhere that they are the same inventory as what Amy Zheng offers.

Yes, Amy Zheng through powerwholesale.net
I almost went though with the buy but another option presented itself with a forum member.

Amy was quick to respond to my questions and I hated to waste her time
As you must have noticed, there are a number of satisfied buyers.
If it wasn't for the chance encounter I would have gone ahead with the powerwholesale purchase.

Last edited:
Back