diy solar

diy solar

Battery/Inverter

Andrew Cote

I have come up with a nanotech-based design using pre-existing technologies that integrates this unique form of electrical energy storage (i.e. the battery) with the function of an inverter. If proven to be viable, there will be a significant reduction in the material costs of both the Battery and Inverter. The cost of System installation is reduced as well. I seek a partner with a company or someone with an Electrical Engineering background to develop this technology. If you are interested in pursuing this, please contact me at this email address: cote.andy@gmail.com.

The electricity is stored as DC. The output can be either IDC or DC. The nano dimensioned constituents can be programmed with software like a computer,

Andy C.

The electricity is stored as DC. The output can be either IDC or DC. The nano dimensioned constituents can be programmed with software like a computer,

Andy C.
What is IDC?
As far as "nano dimensioned constituents" are concerned, I have no clue what you are talking about.
I can't tell if you are brilliant or full of beans.

Last edited:
"The nano dimensioned constituents can be programmed with software like a computer"

Sounds like a bunch of hogwash, but ...

Are you looking for a skilled EE to provide development services you pay for?
Or, are you looking for someone to put in money, or to participate only for an equity or other stake potentially paying if successful in the market?

What is IDC?
As far as "nano dimensioned constituents" are concerned, I have no clue what you are talking about.
I can't tell if you are brilliant for full of beans.
Re: 1. nano dimensioned constituents

Here is a simple explanation. The constituents possess the properties of Permittivity, high Capacitance, and are Programmable.

2. "you are brilliant"

I am an average guy, I ain't no genius. Justified "ruler bruises" from a parochial school education prove the statement. I do not have the technical depth to carry this off; for example, I can superficially explain how the body works, but you do not want me as your surgeon. This river is a mile wide and only an inch deep.

3. "full of beans"

The idea is vetted by a Prof. at a major research university. They are interested in proceeding and suggested an SBIR.

Andy C.

SBIR is certainly a suitable approach to funding. I worked on projects that received $100k that way, and follow on ones that got a few $million

Permittivity, Capacitance.
Sounds like a capacitor, not a battery.
Voltage of a capacitor declines linearly with voltage, so feeding a boost converter would be one way to maintain steady output.
Mechanically moving the plates would be another (or could generate variable DC) - is that part of your concept?

"The nano dimensioned constituents can be programmed with software like a computer"

Sounds like a bunch of hogwash, but ...

Are you looking for a skilled EE to provide development services you pay for?
Or, are you looking for someone to put in money, or to participate only for an equity or other stake potentially paying if successful in the market?
Re: 1. Sounds like a bunch of hogwash

Thats what
SBIR is certainly a suitable approach to funding. I worked on projects that received $100k that way, and follow on ones that got a few $million

Permittivity, Capacitance.
Sounds like a capacitor, not a battery.
Voltage of a capacitor declines linearly with voltage, so feeding a boost converter would be one way to maintain steady output.
Mechanically moving the plates would be another (or could generate variable DC) - is that part of your concept?
Re: 1. IDC

IDC is Indirect Current. I worked in the electrical and steam generating industries and that is what the engineers called it.

2. Capacitor, not battery

Defining the plenum as a Capacitor is probably more appropriate than identifying it as a battery.

3. Mechanically moving the plates

There are no mechanical parts. It's not piezo electric.

4. My goals

I am 68 years old and want to hand the project over to someone who is more competent than me. I'll handle the administrative end. At this stage the project comes first, the money/compensation is secondary.
I have worked with engineers throughout my career (high tech and research universities) and have great respect for them. They, as you have shown, are bluntly honest, and do not "suffer fools gladly". So be a bad boy, I take no offense regarding the "full of beans" assessment. In general, those in the engineering profession are creative and enjoy a challenge. As for me, I am the type that is fascinated with the "idea" and can patiently wait for the rewards.
Ideally, the person selected as a partner to develop this concept has their own company and will take it into production. I can be a minority owner or receive royalties on the resultant patent.

5. Bottom Line

Think of those bicycle mechanics that invented the airplane. Their first attempt only went hundreds of yards. Within ten years those vehicles flew hundreds of feet in the air and covered miles.

So be a bad boy, I take no offense regarding the "full of beans" assessment.
Just being skeptical and honest.
4. My goals

I am 68 years old and want to hand the project over to someone who is more competent than me. I'll handle the administrative end. At this stage the project comes first, the money/compensation is secondary.
I hope you get something to market and make some money.
Best of luck.

This is a story I have heard before.

Dreamer: I have an idea that if we use X, we can solve problem Y.
Engineer: Using X also has major issues A,B,C,D including bending the laws of physics to make work for solving problem Y.
Dreamer: Don't get technical with me. With enough funding, I am sure we can make it work. Send me money/work for free.

The idea seems detached enough from practical realities to get serious cooperation.
You would have to present an explanation of how it is supposed to work to get someone to spend time on it. (Or, pay for their time.)
But, if you get SBIR funding, there's something like $100k to develop it to the point of being taken seriously. (You can pay for someone's time.)

If you file a patent disclosure, that can give you some protection during further development and sharing info.
But if it is viable, others can invent related things and box you in so you can't use the idea without licensing their patents.
You can enter a NDA to keep people given information from being allowed to leak it. Doesn't necessarily protect you from loss if they do.

One guy here offered his idea of "Fully buffered Solar Panels", and received plenty of critical but useful feedback.

This is a story I have heard before.

Dreamer: I have an idea that if we use X, we can solve problem Y.
Engineer: Using X also has major issues A,B,C,D including bending the laws of physics to make work for solving problem Y.
Dreamer: Don't get technical with me. With enough funding, I am sure we can make it work. Send me money/work for free.
Hello Porch, a.k.a. Solar Addict, and Engineer

Permit the invitation for more skepticism by adding a "Z" to the Dreamers X (Inverter) and Y (Battery). That "Z" is a Solar Panel application for this technology as well; using it as a photovoltaic substrate. University publications will be provided that demonstrate that it can generate electricity. Other Academic papers are available to prove that the same material can store that energy like a battery (ah, excuse me "capacitor"). The "trick" is how to transmit that energy into the grid as an Inverter.

BTW, there are no major issues to resolve. This stallion, which literally is a world changer, needs a White Knight.

The idea seems detached enough from practical realities to get serious cooperation.
You would have to present an explanation of how it is supposed to work to get someone to spend time on it. (Or, pay for their time.)
But, if you get SBIR funding, there's something like $100k to develop it to the point of being taken seriously. (You can pay for someone's time.)

If you file a patent disclosure, that can give you some protection during further development and sharing info.
But if it is viable, others can invent related things and box you in so you can't use the idea without licensing their patents.
You can enter a NDA to keep people given information from being allowed to leak it. Doesn't necessarily protect you from loss if they do.

One guy here offered his idea of "Fully buffered Solar Panels", and received plenty of critical but useful feedback.
1. "The idea seems detached enough from practical realities to get serious cooperation"

How many times have the Columbus types of this world heard that form of encouragement from their "expert" counterparts?

2. "You would have to present an explanation of how it is supposed to work to get someone to spend time on it. (Or, pay for their time.)
But, if you get SBIR funding, there's something like $100k to develop it to the point of being taken seriously. (You can pay for someone's time.)"

SBIRs and other Federal research grants provide funding for feasibility studies. I seek someone with the technical credentials to validate the design and develop it.

3. "If you file a patent disclosure, that can give you some protection during further development and sharing info.
You can enter an NDA to keep people given information from being allowed to leak it. Doesn't necessarily protect you from loss if they do."

All true and very good advice. Patent Disclosures and CDAs are the means to protect Intellectual Properties.

4. "One guy here offered his idea of "Fully buffered Solar Panels", and received plenty of critical but useful feedback"

The IP is not covered by a CDA, nor has a preliminary patent been applied for. I know you are intrigued and will send it to you based on a cyber handshake and your integrity. You will not have to read the full ten pages. It will all be evident from the Preamble on Page 1. If you do not want to take on the project, I ask for the use of your good name and a referral to one of your contacts who you believe would be interested in championing the project.

Hello Porch, a.k.a. Solar Addict, and Engineer

Permit the invitation for more skepticism by adding a "Z" to the Dreamers X (Inverter) and Y (Battery). That "Z" is a Solar Panel application for this technology as well; using it as a photovoltaic substrate. University publications will be provided that demonstrate that it can generate electricity. Other Academic papers are available to prove that the same material can store that energy like a battery (ah, excuse me "capacitor"). The "trick" is how to transmit that energy into the grid as an Inverter.

BTW, there are no major issues to resolve. This stallion, which literally is a world changer, needs a White Knight.

Does it have the potential to produce AC at lower cost? Higher volume? Some other market benefit?

Grid tie inverter per wafer? A manager at a previous company did muse about that. The only thing I heard about them getting into was PV panel assembly, and tracking mounts.

Micro inverter per panel is available, costs 2x what string or central inverters cost.
PV wafers aren't (IC) semiconductor grade. Processing for control, analog, power are far more expensive per unit area than for PV. All that stuff needs to be done in separate chips.

Yes, you could integrate a capacitor in a PV wafer. Have to compare that capacity and cost with electrolytic, ceramic, supercapacitors.

I haven't figured out what your "secret sauce" is. I asked about mechanical modulation, but you said no. Electrical (e.g. diffusion region) could be another possibility.

I seek someone with the technical credentials to validate the design and develop it.

That means either a hired gun, or a partner or other contributor who believes in it and shares in ownership in some way.

I tend to do analog/RF/EMI related hardware development. Software mostly for automated test and analysis.
Don't know if your need is someone to develop circuits, firmware, chemistry, physics.

Does it have the potential to produce AC at lower cost? Higher volume? Some other market benefit?

1. Produce AC at Lower Cost

When used as a substrate for solar cell applications to replace the Inverter, the idea will definitely reduce the total material and installation cost of the system. When the solar cell is viewed on a “per square meter” basis, I doubt it will increase the overall electrical production. Again, looking at it on a per meter basis, it will yield as much electricity as a standard photovoltaic cell now sold on the market.

1. Grid tie inverter per wafer?

Grid tie inverter per wafer? A manager at a previous company did muse about that. The only thing I heard about them getting into was PV panel assembly, and tracking mounts.

Micro inverter per panel is available, costs 2x what string or central inverters cost.
PV wafers aren't (IC) semiconductor grade. Processing for control, analog, power are far more expensive per unit area than for PV. All that stuff needs to be done in separate chips.

Yes, you could integrate a capacitor in a PV wafer. Have to compare that capacity and cost with electrolytic, ceramic, supercapacitors.

Yes, it can be used that way as a wafer. Designing it as a standalone sub-assembly that is integrated into the overall solar cell system and replaces the Inverter is probably a cheaper way to go about it.

1. Secret sauce

I haven't figured out what your "secret sauce" is. I asked about mechanical modulation, but you said no. Electrical (e.g. diffusion region) could be another possibility.

There's no “mechanical modulation” involved and yes it evokes the “diffusion region of the material". The proposed material was looked at by a completely different industry. A well-known high-tech company studied it for decades along with academics. They dropped the idea for their intended application. Academics and scientists tend to be myopic. For example, a common brick can be used for something other than building a structure. It can be employed as a doorstop, a weapon, or ground up into a powder as grit for sanding down surfaces. These high-tech guys were focused on the particular needs of their industry and had not considered this as an option.

1. Analog/RF/EMI related hardware development

That field gets kind of “Squirrelie”; particularly the EMI stuff. I once worked on a submarine project and the consultant they brought in used the word “art” a lot. That use of the word "art" means "educated guess".

The good thing about this project is that the technology preexists. The basic research can be accessed from academic literature. The Project draws from what is already known for the desired application. After that, it's a matter of setting up the feeds and speeds. Again, pre-existing software can be modified to create a derivative to do that.

Referencing the interest in “analog/RF/EMI related hardware development”, even if you decide not to take on the project, you are going to want to see this material and know its properties.

1. Produce AC at Lower Cost

When used as a substrate for solar cell applications to replace the Inverter, the idea will definitely reduce the total material and installation cost of the system.

Yes, it can be used that way as a wafer. Designing it as a standalone sub-assembly that is integrated into the overall solar cell system and replaces the Inverter is probably a cheaper way to go about it.

A PV wafer is optimized for PV cell production, not for semiconductor. You can't make typical electronics on it cost-effectively. The material would have to change (more expensive), and modern IC processing costs are too much per unit area if a wafer is only going to have the electronics to make an inverter for that wafer's PV. Would need to be some IC process that could be done with minimal screen-printing steps. Even vacuum processing probably too expensive.

Silicon IC processing is highly optimized. Other semiconductor technologies, even if superior in performance, are way behind compared to cost of volume silicon wafer processing.

If your idea has no patterned electronics, just some doping or nano chemical application on each PV wafer, then maybe.

In times past, PV cost $5/watt and inverter cost $1/watt retail, not so much savings attacking inverter cost.
Today, PV costs $0.25 to $0.50/watt, and string inverters cost $0.10 to $0.30/watt, so that is the price-point you have to beat.
I think large-scale central inverters fed from a field of PV panels is the way to go. Or, mass-produced inverters in the 5kW to 100kW range distributed across the array.
Hard to believe that extra processing on each 10W wafer can compete. Processing cost needs to be < $0.01 per wafer and provide complete AC inverter solution.

A PV wafer is optimized for PV cell production, not for semiconductor. You can't make typical electronics on it cost-effectively. The material would have to change (more expensive), and modern IC processing costs are too much per unit area if a wafer is only going to have the electronics to make an inverter for that wafer's PV. Would need to be some IC process that could be done with minimal screen-printing steps. Even vacuum processing probably too expensive.

Silicon IC processing is highly optimized. Other semiconductor technologies, even if superior in performance, are way behind compared to cost of volume silicon wafer processing.

If your idea has no patterned electronics, just some doping or nano chemical application on each PV wafer, then maybe.

In times past, PV cost $5/watt and inverter cost $1/watt retail, not so much savings attacking inverter cost.
Today, PV costs $0.25 to $0.50/watt, and string inverters cost $0.10 to $0.30/watt, so that is the price-point you have to beat.
I think large-scale central inverters fed from a field of PV panels is the way to go. Or, mass-produced inverters in the 5kW to 100kW range distributed across the array.
Hard to believe that extra processing on each 10W wafer can compete. Processing cost needs to be < $0.01 per wafer and provide complete AC inverter solution.
A peer-reviewed academic paper will be provided showing how the proposed material has been used as a constituent of a PV. It is again mentioned that a research scientist from a major university has seen this paper and thinks it is worth pursuing. This guy is the named inventor on PV-related patents. He asked me to carry the ball on this. I'm 68, have participated in many multimillion-dollar development projects, and know what it takes to bring this to completion. Frankly, this chubby around the waist guy doesn't belong on a basketball court, playing with the boys from the hood. I know how the game is played but do not have the energy. Are you interested in working with this prof?

Why don't you just ask for the White Paper? There is nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Sure, send me the white paper, anything else that's not confidential.

I can do design and prototyping of some things. All depends on the skill set needed.
But I have to be paid for my time.

Alternatively, the prof could have this done by his students, again depending on skill and knowledge needed.

Back