diy solar

diy solar

Battery/Inverter

1. Sure, send me the white paper, anything else that's not confidential

Can the White Paper be safely transmitted over this website?

2. But I have to be paid for my time

Payment would come after the Proposal is written and a contract signed by a sponsor. This would be done through your company that in turn will in the end own the Intellectual Property and develop same in exchange for a minority ownership status in this particular division for me. I can do the administrative stuff.

3. Alternatively, the prof could have this done by his students, again depending on skill and knowledge needed.

The proposal can be written in such a way where the University does most of the work as Basic Research, the Company oversees the project.

Payment would come after the Proposal is written and a contract signed by a sponsor. This would be done through your company that in turn will in the end own the Intellectual Property and develop same in exchange for a minority ownership status in this particular division for me. I can do the administrative stuff.
Am I understanding that you would like to remain out of the spotlight?

I am not interested in glory or attention. My motive is to get the project up and running and hand it over to more energetic management. When called, I'll go on the stage as a "supporting actor".

1. Sure, send me the white paper, anything else that's not confidential

Can the White Paper be safely transmitted over this website?

2. But I have to be paid for my time

3. Alternatively, the prof could have this done by his students, again depending on skill and knowledge needed.

The proposal can be written in such a way where the University does most of the work as Basic Research, the Company oversees the project.

Not if contents of the white paper are anything that is planned to be protected by patent but hasn't been filed yet. That should only be under a signed NDA and secure communications.

If the white paper is to be published for the world to see, or at least doesn't jeopardize IP or trade secrets, then it can go anywhere.

Sounds like you want someone to write a proposal, work for some SBIR payments and have some ownership stake.
I'm not enough of a believer (don't have anything to go by) to contribute any effort unpaid. And I'm not experienced at writing proposals (professor may be.)

What I could do, for money, is design/analysis/prototyping/test. I have my own lab with some capabilities in the fields that interest me.

But I think your first R&D step will be to demonstrate, perhaps by purchasing PV wafers and modifying them, what functionality/performance is possible.

But if you want this to go to any production and not just funded science project, I suggest a cost analysis. As I showed earlier, my back of the envelope calculation indicated you can only spend pennies per wafer (I might have slipped up the math in my head and it is dimes to 1 dollar per wafer if essentially no other electronics is needed between the wafer and the AC connection.)

1. "Sounds like you want someone to write a proposal, work for some SBIR payments and have some ownership stake.
I'm not enough of a believer (don't have anything to go by) to contribute any effort unpaid. And I'm not experienced at writing proposals (professor may be.)"

Yes, that is correct. I want to take a back seat and seek someone to take over the program. That means writing the proposal and submitting same to a sponsor through a pre-existing company. If you want to take a look at this, contact me at cote.andy@gmail.com . As for the NDA, that is not necessary. I will trust in your integrity that you will not give me the screws.

BTW, after writing simple software that imprints and opens and closes the switches, the material cost for a prototype that demonstrates proof of concept can be made for less than $10,000.

Andy C.

Driving a program wouldn't be me. Many times I've been pushed toward program management but that isn't my skill or interest. Also not proposal writing.
I'm mainly a technical developer and problem solver. I tend to see things others miss, especially across various disciplines. (e.g. rocket science, digital signal processing, thermal, mechanical, analog, RF, EMI). Chemistry I'm particularly weak in, but occasionally spot something.

You would need someone else to get the project launched. I could be the one to gather things, build, demonstrate, ship a prototype. But with a professor involved, could be more ideal if someone on-campus understood interaction of pieces and farmed out different parts to students.

So prototype cost is well within SBIR funding. But you need to come up with an estimate of production cost, see if there is a path to beat competing technology. For instance, Solyndra claimed with benefits of tubular PV cells, could deliver power for $1/watt, undercutting normal flat panels. However, flat panels ramped up in volume and down in cost so became even cheaper than $1/watt.

1. Program Management and Proposal Writing

Yes, I know what it takes and I ain't the guy. Anyone to suggest? In the meantime, I will send a copy of this to a Chemist friend of mine who expressed interest in being a PM. He would need help from you with the electrical side of the proposal.

2. Gather things, build, demonstrate, ship a prototype

OK, I will keep you in the loop.

3. Prototype Cost

The $10,000 in hardware mentioned is to demonstrate the fundamentals of a "proof of concept" breadboard. It's not a working prototype compatible with Grid requirements.

4. Production Costs for an Inverter or Capacitor

A couple of designs are proposed. If the proof concept works out, the hardware cost for the first production unit servicing a typical household, less the Nonrecurring engineering (drawings, programming, operation sheets, tech writing, manuals, et all), can be made for less than $1,000.

5. Tubular PV cells, could deliver power for $1/watt

Yes, that cost objective can be practically and easily attained. And the Inverter would be part of the package.

Back