diy solar

diy solar

Battery-less backup with Grid-Tie

BruceNewEngland

There have been reports of California residents, with grid tied systems, being frustrated by the fact that they were completely useless during the states recent blackouts.

At least one major grid-tied inverter manufacturer is offering an option that could help.

SMA’s Sunny Boy - US now has an option that will provide power without requiring batteries; up to 2kw when there’s adequate sunlight:
https://www.smainverted.com/tech-tip-installing-secure-power-supply/

I realize that it’s only up to 2kw, and only during daytime. But that’s a lot better than zero power, while staring at your expensive solar panel installation soaking up completely unusable sunshine.

If more manufacturers get on board with this, and the available power increases, it could be an alternative for those who can’t afford a sizable battery bank, but still want some level of grid-down power backup.
Bruce.

Ive installed hundreds of sunny boys with the secure power supply it works great

I’m sorry this will not help those looking for an immediate “battery-less” system but eventually will be exactly what your asking for. Ensemble and IQ8 for solar. Not to be confused with Ensemble 1.0 with IQ8 powered batteries.
F111BFD1-2DA4-4A1B-878F-EC7548A901A2.jpeg

That Enphase stuff is already available for order, supposedly shipping in January. If you already have IQ7's on your roof it'll work with them.
The "generator" in the above diagram is "future" AFAIK.

Not exactly. IQ8 Will only be shipping inside the Encharge battery. OP was looking for battery-less backup with grid-tie.

According to their manuals, the Fronius Hybrid inverters can also provide Emergency Power even without battery, but they need a grid meter and an external contactor to isolate critical loads from the grid during Emergency Power operation.

And there's also an upcoming new model Fronius GEN24 with a separate output connection up to 3 kW that works when the grid is down and the sun is up. :) Being separate from the main output, the advantage is that no external contactor is required but the disadvantage is that critical loads must be unplugged from their original location and plugged into this output.

i do not understand the need for batteryless. If you need a backup because grid is out, assuming it is ok only for daylight is a strange idea.
battery is cheap

Can work well to chill your food storage down, recharge your ups for computing garage door opener, etc and run space heating equipment for those hours the sun shines enough on your array.

Did someone say UPS....?

I think its a great idea when you have an emergency power outage. The ability to use ***some*** power vs. no power is a bit difference when the grid goes down. Hopefully this is done with little or no cost to the inverter itself. If you have frequent grid failures then invest in batteries. For an emergency backup situation you could charge your portable devices during the day and use them at night.

i do not understand the need for batteryless. If you need a backup because grid is out, assuming it is ok only for daylight is a strange idea.
battery is cheap
The concept of batteryless is that large banks cost tons of money. While many want grid tied inverters yet they offer no backup when the power goes out. The sunny boy inverter may be great yet they lack the ability to offer more than 2kw of power from if I recall 10kw inverter.
I am looking for a larger high voltage all in one inverter that I can install that can do a few things. Provide solar during the day to cut electric cost, when demand is more than solar provide grid back up and in the future install battery bank. I do not have a need or want to send electric back to the grid. I also want a split phase system that can provide 220v and or 120v power.
Few reason why I want this is to provided power to a remote building during the day, such as lights, AC, and power for tools.
Sure I could install all DC lighting yet I do not want to do that. I want AC power.
There are a few options I have found yet they are not quite right or the wrong voltage. 240v
Solar pumping inverter would be a great option as they are high voltage and provide large amounts of power. Yet the grid tie part is manual. So this options is out because I can not install it on my main well pump while still having grid function at night. What I can do is install it on another well and it would pump all day to water the garden, grass and whatever else. Yet they have no option for grid sharing, or option for back up battery at a later date. These solar pumping inverter are split phase and 3 phase. It right along what I need yet not there yet.

A friend of mine has one of those. We added some batteries and a charger that he runs from the SunnyBoy during the day. A separate inverter uses the batteries at night. A workaround kludge but it gives him something at night.

A friend of mine has one of those. We added some batteries and a charger that he runs from the SunnyBoy during the day. A separate inverter uses the batteries at night. A workaround kludge but it gives him something at night.
Yeah those sunny boys would work if their cost was way cheaper, Last I looked they were like 2k or there about.

Back