diy solar

diy solar

Battery Monitor won’t Read Accurately in Storage

chrisski

Solar Boondocker
After six weeks in storage, I found my batteries were at 60% on a hydrometer check when my Battery monitor read 100%
C89685CA-670B-4DE4-B542-B4C660F89771.jpeg
Temp corrected Specific Gravity off the hydrometer was 1.194. Average readings were 1.200 and The battery temperature was 88 F and the correction was -.006,

Battery voltage was measured before anything except the shunt was hooked up and was 12.49 volts, would put this around 75%, but I am sticking with the hydrometer reading.

I kind of expected this to happen. The batteries were disconnected from the system and isolated from all draws with a blue sea switch. The one draw that was left was the Victron 712 BMS. This is a blue tooth cable shunt that is connected the first thing after the battery with a temperature monitor connected to a positive terminal in the battery. So, the shunt still does draw a slight amount of current. I was able to connect Bluetooth to this device so it was pulling a wee bit of power that added up over six weeks.

The manual even talks to this. I was not sure whether the Battery monitor would read this as current used or not. In my case, it registered no current.

I will just take the cover off the RV and charge the batteries for a day and they will be full up again.

Last edited:
Back