diy solar

diy solar

Battery pack direct into breaker panel

Toddy

Hi.
Looking for help. I have a holiday house and in the power board the electrician has installed a plug so that I can hook up a generator in case of power failure. I'd like to use the same input (10 amp) plug to hook up a battery and a 240 V inverter.
Could I just get say a 12V 200aH LiPo battery, connect a 2000W inverter with 240V output (Australian) and plug that in?
Presumably a 100aH 24V battery pack would be preferable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Does this holiday house have normal grid-power service 24/7? In the US, and I assume everywhere, it is illegal to connect an alternative power supply to a grid connection unless it is through something called a transfer switch. It's purpose is to isolate the power being applied to the electrical panel, so ONLY the house is energized, and not the grid wiring leading into the home.

This is to prevent individuals from backfeeding power into the grid wiring, where an unsuspecting electrical lineman might be handling wires they are expecting to be dead. I'm assuming that since an electrician installed this, then the electrician also installed the transfer switch? Is that correct?

If in fact there is a transfer switch, then everything you described is OK.

THAnks for the reply. Yes I had an electrician install a transfer switch so as to isolate the mains power.

Back