diy solar

diy solar

Battery question

KA1IJA

Hello,

I have 8) 100AH Lifepo4 batteries that I am setting up as 48 volt into Growatt inverters.
My question is which is the better way to wire it:

4) batteries in series (for 48 volt) then connect to a distribution bus and do this for each set of 4. So basically I would have 4 batteries connected as 1) 48 volt 100 ah battery and do that twice. So 4S configuration twice

Or

Connect 2 batteries in parallel 4 times so I have 1 48 volt 200AH battery. So 4S2P (I think I have that right)

Or does it matter at all?

All have been balanced together.

Thanks A Lot!!

I would connect 4 of the 12 volt bats in series to make 48 volts.

You then end up with 2 battery banks.

Is the spec of your battery packs showing that they can be connected in series and how many they can be connected in series?

I think there is confusing here.
OP:
I have 8) 100AH Lifepo4 batteries that I am setting up as 48 volt into Growatt inverters.

4) batteries in series (for 48 volt) then connect to a distribution bus and do this for each set of 4. So basically I would have 4 batteries connected as 1) 48 volt 100 ah battery and do that twice. So 4S configuration twice

4 batteries in series for 48V, to me that mean has FOUR 12V battery packs connected in series to create 48V battery bank.
So does OP have EIGHT 12V 100Ah battery packs, or he has EIGHT 3.2V 100Ah battery cells?

No one is talking about individual cells, you seem to be the only confused by your own reading comprehension skills.

No one is talking about individual cells, you seem to be the only confused by your own reading comprehension skills.
Sorry but English is my second language.
So if we are talking 12V Battery pack with its own BMS, then that is why I ask if they are made for series connection or not, which is what I asked in post #5.

Last edited:
I think there is confusing here.
OP:

4 batteries in series for 48V, to me that mean has FOUR 12V battery packs connected in series to create 48V battery bank.
So does OP have EIGHT 12V 100Ah battery packs, or he has EIGHT 3.2V 100Ah battery cells?
4) batteries in series (for 48 volts) then connect to a distribution bus and do this for each set of 4. So basically I would have 4 batteries connected as 1) 48 volt 100 ah battery and do that twice. So 4S configuration twice

That says it all... 4 batteries in series... for 48-volts. To me, that reads four 12-volt batteries in series equals 48-volts. Not four 3.2 volt cells. Next, the OP says take those two batteries and connect to a parallel bus for 48-volts @200ah.

Sorry but English is my second language.
So if we are talking 12V Battery pack with its own BMS, then that is why I ask if they are made for series connection or not.
I think he's talking about 12-volt batteries, not homemade batteries from the sound of it, and yes, most 12-volt batteries these days are made for series connections.

I think he's talking about 12-volt batteries, not homemade batteries from the sound of it, and yes, most 12-volt batteries these days are made for series connections.
The reason I ask because of this thread: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/m...professionals-in-the-forum.33490/#post-413381
And also here from DOCAN (Cannot be series up to 48V): https://diysolarforum.com/threads/amy-zheng-from-docan-technology(shenzhen-co-ltd.33592/#post-414962
And I also see that mentioned in some of Will's videos that some of them are not made to be connected in series unless it says so and how many they can be connected in series.
And I am sorry for not having comprehension skill like the English native speakers here in this forum.

Last edited:
The reason I ask because of this thread: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/m...professionals-in-the-forum.33490/#post-413381
And I also see that mentioned in some of Will's videos that some of them are not made to be connected in series unless it says so and how many they can be connected in series.
True that, but most commercially produced batteries today are made to be hooked up series, parallel, or a combination of both, but it doesn't hurt to ask. A single 12-volt battery isn't squat for power; manufacturers see that from the rise in sales of 200-300ah batteries in 24 to 48-volts.

And I am sorry for not having comprehension skill like the English native speakers here in this forum.
Don't worry about language issues; ask if you don't get it. Most of us, knowing that, would have no problem saying it in a different way to help you follow the conversation.

That is why I ask.
BTW, I am still a little confused about the word Battery/Batteries, Battery pack, and Battery bank.
To me the battery pack is made from many battery cells to form a battery pack, then you connect many battery packs together to form a battery bank, is that the correct word.
But then when we use the word Battery/Batteries, is that applied to battery cell or battery pack.
Also for a single 12V car battery considered as one battery or a 12V battery pack?
Sorry to be off topic.

Last edited:
That is why I ask.
BTW, I am still a little confuse about the word Battery/Batteries, Battery pack, and Battery bank.
To me the battery pack is made from many battery cells to form a battery pack, then you connect many battery packs together to form a battery bank, is that the correct word.
But then when we use the word Battery/Batteries, is that applied to battery cell or battery pack.
Also for a single 12V car battery considered as one battery or a 12V battery pack?
Here a battery is considered a stand-alone item. You have a 12-volt battery in the car; one battery. Now, a battery pack can be regarded as a stand-alone or a battery composed of cells, confusing, I know. A battery pack for a remote-controlled car can be a battery pack, but all in one even though it has many cells inside. In my case, I have four batteries of 12-volt each, and I have them configured into a 2s2p 24-volt 400ah battery bank. Now each of my 12-volt batteries is made up of cells, but you can't see them, so it's referred to as a "battery."

I've either confused you more or helped some. :cool:

You do not need to apologize. You asked a valid question for clarification. Don't let rude responses change that. Your English is better than half of the native speakers on this site (or other Internet communities).

BTW, I am still a little confuse about the word Batteries, Battery pack, and Battery bank.
Also for a single 12V car battery considered as one battery?
English is full of ambiguity, even for native speakers. Battery is a great example. It can mean both an individual cell and it can mean a pre-made pack made of multiple cells. It largely depends on context and many times people don't make that context clear enough. I think your use of battery cell and battery bank are correct. Battery pack is a little less common but I think it's a good term for what you get from a set of battery cells. But I would also say that a battery bank can consist of just 1 battery pack. To me, the battery bank is the total set of batteries in the system, no matter how many packs it is. And yes, I would refer to a single 12V car battery as one battery.

Hi Cajunwolf & rmaddy,
Thank you very much!
I will have to spend more times reading both of your replies over and over, wow! it is so confusing which now makes me reluctant to give the reply to the thread about batteries in the future when I want to help some one.

Hi Cajunwolf & rmaddy,
Thank you very much!
I will have to spend more times reading both of your replies over and over, wow! it is so confusing which now makes me reluctant to give the reply to the thread about batteries in the future when I want to help some one.
Don't be; everyone's confused; life is a confusing journey. You're doing just fine, better than most.

Back