diy solar

diy solar

Battery question

it is so confusing which now makes me reluctant to give the reply to the thread about batteries in the future when I want to help some one.
If it makes you feel better, I have read a few threads on this site where I couldn't tell whether the OP was asking about battery cells or pre-made batteries (packs). In most cases it's obvious from the context. For example, "I bought 4 3.2V batteries. What BMS do I need?". Clearly they are referring to cells. Or "I have a 12V 100Ah battery...". That's likely a pre-made pack since it's already 12V. But when it's not clear, ask. Many questions are posted with missing or confusing info. If no one asked clarifying questions there would be a lot of unanswered posts.

If it makes you feel better, I have read a few threads on this site where I couldn't tell whether the OP was asking about battery cells or pre-made batteries (packs). In most cases it's obvious from the context. For example, "I bought 4 3.2V batteries. What BMS do I need?". Clearly they are referring to cells. Or "I have a 12V 100Ah battery...". That's likely a pre-made pack since it's already 12V. But when it's not clear, ask. Many questions are posted with missing or confusing info. If no one asked clarifying questions there would be a lot of unanswered posts.
In OP post #1: 4) batteries in series (for 48 volt)
I kind of know that he must be talking about four 12V pack, so that is why I ask OP if his battery packs can safely be connected to series to make 48V bank or not.

In OP post #1: 4) batteries in series (for 48 volt)
I kind of know that he must be talking about four 12V pack, so that is why I ask OP if his battery packs can safely be connected to series to make 48V bank or not.

English is my only language and I am still wondering about this basic question Bud asked at the beginning.

It is not safe to assume all commercially available 12v batteries can be connected in series up to 48v.

It’s a good question and still requires an answer from the OP. Or at least a link to the product or manual.

Hello, To clarify I have 8 - 12 volt batteries. They can be hooked up in series to 48 volts.

I bought these: LOSSIGY Lithium Battery

They are pretty compact and pretty cheap, include wires. No cold sensor but I am mounting inside so not too concerned.

Primary use will be to keep 2 refrigerators and internet and a tv up and running if power goes out. Happens every couple weeks for brief periods.

Excellent, it clearly states that you can series connect 4 of them to 48v nominal.

Thanks for the link !

Some lesser quality batteries can only series’s up to 24v due to BMS FET voltage limitations.

Each FET needs to be able to withstand fully charged voltage of >60v for 48v string or >30v for a 24v string.

Sorry but English is my second language.
So if we are talking 12V Battery pack with its own BMS, then that is why I ask if they are made for series connection or not, which is what I asked in post #5.

Sorry about my insensitive response, I want to apologize for coming off harsh. Lots of information on a very technical topic where verbiage and terms can be easily confused, let along for someone non native language.

Keep asking question, and I’ll keep a more open mind that this isnt just a US forum.

Sorry

Sorry about my insensitive response, I want to apologize for coming off harsh. Lots of information on a very technical topic where verbiage and terms can be easily confused, let along for someone non native language.

Keep asking question, and I’ll keep a more open mind that this isnt just a US forum.

Sorry
Apology accepted, sometime I have to read the response many many times and it still turns out not to be what I think it means.

Back