diy solar

diy solar

Battery Safety

gvastardis

Good Evening,

I am currently working on taking my building (work/home) off grid with 6 100ah @ 51.2v LFP Signature Solar batteries. I have another thread going about mixing chemistry with another LG chem Li-Ion 40kwh battery stack.

It seems as though i wont be able to put both setups on the same bus, however I still have saftey questions on both chemistries.

My main focus is safety and after seeing first hand bad experiences with thermal runaway/ battery fires, the way i look at these has forever changed the way I will approach them in the furture.

I am having a hard time figuring out where to put these batteries. I would like to put them inside for obvious reasons, however the thought of a fire scares me enough to put them in a climate and humidity controlled enclosure outside.

The EG4's from signature solar are obviously controlled by a BMS and are well packed into a metal housing however what are the chances a cell could fail or BMS fail and not stop some type of fire.

The Li-Ion LG Chems on the other hand scare me even more even though I will be using a quality BMS. What are my options? Should i be this concerned?

Very safe, even indoors.

Firetrucks run out of water trying to put these out.

You are not wrong being scared.

It sounds like you have quite a bit of LiFePO4 to build a hearty system. Why not start with this and see how it goes?
Yeah I think thats exactly what im gonna do. I got the LG's for a stellar price, and there is a ton of capacity in those so its hard to walk away from them. The LFP batteries are definitely a serious piece of mind.

Back