diy solar

diy solar

Battery server bank inside the cabin?

Harper

Is there any reason I can't install battery server rack inside my boat cabin? I know there is a lot of talk about waterproof issues, however my main cabin is as dry as my house and will never get wet other then some catastrophic mishaps. If we were worried about those catastrophic issues here in FL with the recent flooding and hurricanes, we would have waterproof battery boxes for our home back-up systems too........Look at Ft. Lauderdale right now!
Never mind any insurance reasons, I just want to know why Not to use a server rack and battery system.
My plan would place the rack in a secure, dry, and well ventilated locker that has air pulled through it any time the hvac system is running; which is always in FL.

In the cabin is fine. What battery chemistry? That will dictate mounting considerations and ventilation.

Lithium Batteries must be mounted solid, so they can't move at all. vs Lead acid can move somewhat, with just a strap to hold them down.
Lithium does not need ventilation like Lead Acid, because Lithium does not vent explosive gas in normal use. It's still good to have some, but not nearly as much is needed.
Lithium does not need to be housed in an acid proof container, as the electrolyte is non-corrosive. Flooded batteries need to be in a special boxes that will contain the acid. Mounting Lithium in a wood box is fine.

Back