diy solar

diy solar

Battery solenoid with lithium upgrade

MikeV

I am in the process of upgrading to two lithium batteries. I have purchased everything I need and am in my RV right now tracing wires. I need to move the battery location from under my stairs (my rig is a 2008, 31 ft Class C, Itasca spirit) to a storage compartment.

While tracing the wires from the battery, I found they go first to a battery solenoid. I have done my fair share of research and this is the first time I even heard of a battery solenoid. My question is now what to do??? Do I need this connection at all? Can I just remove the old wire connection and go on my way? If not, will lithium to the lead acid starting battery be an issue?

Please help! I thought I was ready to install now I am questioning it all!

Here is a picture of what all is connected at this juncture.

Attachments

• 1AE4DE9E-47AB-466F-8FAC-C07EC3DC7A1E.jpeg
    1AE4DE9E-47AB-466F-8FAC-C07EC3DC7A1E.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 12
Motorized RV’s have the Battery Isolation Mananger to allow the charging of the chassis and coach batteries while driving, isolate the two battery banks when parked so that you don’t drain down the chassis batteries and when pushing the “boost” button on the dash, this ties both battery banks together to start the generator or engine if needed. The Lithium BIM is needed as it keeps the alternator from overheating from the higher charge rate of the lithium batteries. Not sure what BIM Winnebago used but in our Jayco Seneca, it has the one in the first pic and I have the newer style BIM for lithium ready to install in mine when I’m done with the batteries.

6B39626F-05E9-4552-A97E-D3EE8CABE786.jpegF68FE0A0-EA7D-46B0-A50B-9A9E0A0DD2CA.png

Thank you for the info. If I just remove the house battery leg from the current solenoid what impact will that have?

If I just remove the house battery leg from the current solenoid what impact will that have?
If it's an isolator as @Rustynuts suggests, removing the house battery leg would mean the house bank would no longer charge from alternator. This might or might not be what you want.

will lithium to the lead acid starting battery be an issue?

This is a matter of some debate here on the forum and elsewhere. In my case, lithium charges gently from the alternator using an isolator.

Motorized RV’s have the Battery Isolation Mananger to allow the charging of the chassis and coach batteries while driving, isolate the two battery banks when parked so that you don’t drain down the chassis batteries and when pushing the “boost” button on the dash, this ties both battery banks together to start the generator or engine if needed. The Lithium BIM is needed as it keeps the alternator from overheating from the higher charge rate of the lithium batteries. Not sure what BIM Winnebago used but in our Jayco Seneca, it has the one in the first pic and I have the newer style BIM for lithium ready to install in mine when I’m done with the batteries.

View attachment 77836View attachment 77837
I have a WB / Travato and have been using this since Jan/2020. I put a remote switch on override it to get longer charge cycles when its cold and driving down the interstate. While this works as described as my bank has grown 1200+ ah i now keep close tabs on it as just a 90% SOC from the 1200ah will pull ~80%+ of max alternator charging capacity during a duty cycle.

Back