diy solar

diy solar

Battery storage: dedicated outdoor storage shed?

Old_Skewler

Solar Enthusiast
I'm inclined to build a dedicated 4x6 storage shed about 60 feet away from the cabin to store initially 48V 200ah and possibly 48v 400 ah in the future. In this shed I would also place all related equipment (inverter, charge controller, disconnects)

I've tried many different searches looking for info and outdoor battery storage shed designs but to my surprise I have not found any posts regarding how to keep the renewable energy equipment outside the main cabin.

At this time in looking for photos of BESS installed outside the main house, in a dedicated shed or storage.

Any leads?

I currently use a 25kWh (480ah) lithium ion pack that his housed in a 14ga steel enclosure in my basement. Eventually, I'm going to upgrade to something far larger in 300 to 500 kWh range. My original plan was a block building with steel siding to make it look nice, but my neighbor has access to commercial building panels. They're basically a 3 inch foam sandwich with steel on each side and they interlock together. Expensive stuff, but I can get scraps for free.

Here in Michigan, both heating and cooling will be an issue.. For the cooling, I plan on making the building white and installing a very small air conditioner, and for heating I'll just use an electric heating element and make sure its insulated very well.

4 x 6 seems kind of small to fit all your equipment. I'm looking at 10 x 10 and possibly larger depending on the battery.

Here in Michigan, both heating and cooling will be an issue.. For the cooling, I plan on making the building white and installing a very small air conditioner, and for heating I'll just use an electric heating element and make sure its insulated very well.
My cabin is located upstate NY, so I will have to deal with the same issues and I am already counting on building a somewhat weatherproof shed.

In the summer with a temp-controlled fan, i think AC would be overkill for the size of my system.

4 x 6 seems kind of small to fit all your equipment. I'm looking at 10 x 10 and possibly larger depending on the battery.
In terms of required space I should be able to fit all the gear in a 4x6 shed. If possible I may go one size larger .

That will eat your batteries up pretty quick. The general concensus for off-grid heat is "Anything But Electric". Have you thought about a little diesel heater instead?
The secret is good insulation. A well insulated battery will most likely only need active heating when it is not being used and generating its own heat.

One other option I have explored is a poor-man's geothermal. Here in Michigan, the frost line is at 42 inches, so if I dig a short 10ft deep trench and lay down some pipe, I should be able to circulate 55 degree water all year round.. a tiny 10 watt pump could provide all the heating and cooling I need.

I'm inclined to build a dedicated 4x6 storage shed about 60 feet away from the cabin to store initially 48V 200ah and possibly 48v 400 ah in the future. In this shed I would also place all related equipment (inverter, charge controller, disconnects)

I've tried many different searches looking for info and outdoor battery storage shed designs but to my surprise I have not found any posts regarding how to keep the renewable energy equipment outside the main cabin.

At this time in looking for photos of BESS installed outside the main house, in a dedicated shed or storage.

Any leads?
What about digging a pit in the ground and using the warmer temps 3' to 4' down to help keep the LifeP04 batteries above freezing ?

Back