diy solar

diy solar

Battery storage/placement temperature-how important?

Bluedog225

Texas
Good morning,

I will probably end up buying, not building, a LiFe battery bank. Mostly to support a solar powered mini-split with a large panel array for the heat of they day.

I’ve got a tall cabin (30 ft) with a flat roof.

I’ve read that cooler battery temps are better, but how important is this in real life?

Just for discussion purposes, if I have several battle borns or similar in a box, how much worse off am I putting them in a reflective ventilated box on the roof, versus inside, versus a buried vault? I’m in Texas so the ambient air temp would be roughly between 115F and 20F depending on the time of year. The roof might be somewhat hotter with full sun and general heat accumulation.

For talking purposes, inside temp (without AC) would be buffered to about 95-100F and a shallow vault might be 85-90F.

On the roof or inside would be more secure. On the roof has some distinct advantages for me in terms of setup and wiring. Inside would be ok but the fire/dc arc potential worry me even with LiFe.

Any thoughts appreciated.

My decision of where to place my batteries was based on proximity to other components, protection from the elements (rain, temperature) and convenience. The farther away the batteries are from the inverter, the bigger the wires need to be. It's often better to distance the batteries from the PV because the PV voltage is much higher and has lower voltage loss with reasonably sized wire.

Back