diy solar

diy solar

Battery system w/o Solar for Island cottage questions.

I might suggest looking at a Duracell 660, you can daisy chain an additional AGM and hook a single solar panel up. Basically a UPS, but has terminals to add additional battery and has a built-in PWM. Duracell also told me you can hook up an MPPT and more solar via the external battery connection as well.

Wow, I wish I understood how the 7700 watts comes from 24V-200AH? I'm missing something I though that would give me 4800 watts to use??
Volts multiplied by amps = watts (amp hours and watt hours)

I guess I'm dumb then as I thought 200 x 24=4800? Please forgive me but I'm missing it
No you are not, it's just confusing.

8 batteries at 12v 100ah will net you 9600wh regardless of what kind of battery you buy. So you will have 4800wh usable (if you use 50%). If you use LiFePo4, you can use 80%, so 7680wh.

Wow, I wish I understood how the 7700 watts comes from 24V-200AH? I'm missing something I though that would give me 4800 watts to use??
I stated each. In your case, you need 2 of them (24V-200Ah) to make 24V and 400Ah.

No you are not, it's just confusing.

8 batteries at 12v 100ah will net you 9600wh regardless of what kind of battery you buy. So you will have 4800wh usable (if you use 50%). If you use LiFePo4, you can use 80%, so 7680wh.
OK, I think I understand now. To get 7680 wh usable of LiFePo4, I would be spending about double my budget of $1500, correct?

OK, I think I understand now. To get 7680 wh usable of LiFePo4, I would be spending about double my budget of $1500, correct?
Yes sir. If you are not comfortable building battery from cell pack, then you buy the out of the box. Battery is a dangerous stuff if you don't know what you are doing.

How’s it going? Did you buy in?

Nobody likes lead acid batteries BUT they might be an option to ‘stage in’ to your goal…

Lead acid deep cycles don’t ship well (heavy) but if you travel to the Bahamas from the US I’m wondering what are the importation costs - duty- for stuff. Are you able to bring the panels and charge controller, inverter; into the Bahamas without selling your vital organs?

I ask because for US$1500 (here in USA) you can have a 1200W pure sine inverter, 400W solar, mppt SCC, a solar transfer switch, and 4 or 5 fla deep cycle batteries. Which would exceed your initial goal as well as make useable power daily.

Hurricane season: is it wind or debris that is the concern? If it’s wind that’s the primary concern: that’s solvable. Debris- not so much.

If you buy the right mppt, you can start with lead acid batteries and have 3-7 years (probably 5+ without abuse) from deep cycle batteries - that are cheap up front - and then get lifepo after those fla batteries begin to decline.

Just trying to throw things out there that ‘might’ be possible for $1500US and not be simply battery backup.

I just want to say Big Thanks to all for helping me understand this so much better than I did last week. I still have so many questions, I hope you guys don't get sick of them.
Whichever option, you will take, please research the safety of each solar components. At least, get and wear PPE prior to engaging the activity. You can search in this forum title "safety" keyword. Good Luck!!

How’s it going? Did you buy in?

Nobody likes lead acid batteries BUT they might be an option to ‘stage in’ to your goal…

Lead acid deep cycles don’t ship well (heavy) but if you travel to the Bahamas from the US I’m wondering what are the importation costs - duty- for stuff. Are you able to bring the panels and charge controller, inverter; into the Bahamas without selling your vital organs?

I ask because for US$1500 (here in USA) you can have a 1200W pure sine inverter, 400W solar, mppt SCC, a solar transfer switch, and 4 or 5 fla deep cycle batteries. Which would exceed your initial goal as well as make useable power daily.

Hurricane season: is it wind or debris that is the concern? If it’s wind that’s the primary concern: that’s solvable. Debris- not so much.

If you buy the right mppt, you can start with lead acid batteries and have 3-7 years (probably 5+ without abuse) from deep cycle batteries - that are cheap up front - and then get lifepo after those fla batteries begin to decline.

Just trying to throw things out there that ‘might’ be possible for $1500US and not be simply battery backup.
I just pulled the switch and just bought 2 Ampere Time 200 AH LiFePO4 for $1528 delivered through Will's link. I am now looking for an all in one. The panels won't work now as I have no place to put them, too much construction activity. I will be buying them in a year or two.
Whichever option, you will take, please research the safety of each solar components. At least, get and wear PPE prior to engaging the activity. You can search in this forum title "safety" keyword. Good Luck!!
Yes for sure I am learning. Thanks!!

I just pulled the switch and just bought 2 Ampere Time 200 AH LiFePO4 for $1528 delivered through Will's link. I am now looking for an all in one. The panels won't work now as I have no place to put them, too much construction activity. I will be buying them in a year or two.

Yes for sure I am learning. Thanks!!
Make sure, research of how to take care your LFP batteries, proper AC-DC charger device for LFP batteries. If you use an inverter, please find out of how to discharge your inverter prior to connecting the cable to LFP batteries. Fuse and correct cable size are crucial.

Back