diy solar

diy solar

Battery Terminal for DIY Cases

Ralo

I would like to build a custom case for the cells I just purchased. Do anyone know where I can get flat terminals like those in this case?

1579408083355.png

I work with metal and can build a case like the one below, and would really like to know where I can get terminals like those used in this case. I'm trying to keep the case as short as possible. I have limited room.

1579408273342.png

If you work with metal, toss some bar into the lathe, cut, drill and tap a few for yourself to specification. A lip in your sheet metal top, along with some epoxy should set the new 'terminals' in place nicely.

This looks SOMETHING like what you're asking for tho, yeah?

And I don't have a lathe. I guess I should have said I work with sheet metal.

The terminal you linked to is huge. I use them on my generators. I would really like something like the one used in that case above.

Here’s some options on Aliexpress but with the upcoming holiday it might take a while. ?

US $46.00 | GTK lithium battery box 12V 24V 48V 100ah 120ah 150ah li ion lifepo4 LTO battery ABS+PC battery empty case
NICE!!! That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Unfortunately, I got greedy and bought 280ah cells and they are too big to fit in this case. Hopefully I can find one slightly larger or I can find the connectors to make my own. I really don’t want to drop down to smaller cells.

My cells below.

1579429054767.png

not sure encasing such cell is good for thermal dissipation.
I would better build a marine plywood case with two 120mm fan, leave 5mm space between the batteries with spacers and put an aluminuim grid on the opposed side of the fan.
Currently, i iam investigating for a case for the same cells, and i even consider an mineral oil bath.

Well, I will be using this battery in my RV and it won’t suffer heavy loads, so I doubt heat will be a problem in my case. However, I may add a second one and see how long I can run my AC. If that works, they might heat up.

But I’m also considering no case at all since my RV has a dedicated battery compartment. Building a case may actually be redundant. I can probably get by with just a way to mount the BMS and terminals. My cells may get a skeleton case.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how thick the aluminum cases are on the prismatic cell? I hope it's thicker than a beer can.

Last edited:
I also have the EVE 280ah cells coming. I bought a pair of group 31 battery boxes which should be ok for my needs (4S). $12.50 a piece. Once put together there should be a little over 2" to spare on the end for the BMS and maybe some insulation. (I'm getting a daly 200a common port for each one). Don't care so much about how they look other than having good protection as they will be in the cargo bay of a 5th wheel. sorry the image is so big.
battery_box.jpg

Last edited:
I have limited space in my battery compartment so I'm trying to keep the case as small as possible. I have a two section compartment for two batteries and one is smaller than the other. If I can keep the battery below 12" inches in length, I can install two. So that's what I'm shooting for but it will mean mounting the BMS above the cells. I plan to 3D print a mount for the BMS that separates it from the cells. It's going to be tight but again, I'm not worried about heat because the battery will suffer very little load.

Since you work with metal and can build your own box I may suggest something like this. The only thing is you would need to mount them on something non conductive. Perhaps you could make a HDPE plastic lid or do what I do and use thick plexiglass

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-0-to-...onductor-Mount-2-Pack-ADR11-21-B2-5/100172941
Interesting. This just might work. I'll pick up a pair and check them out.

In the meantime, I just received a quote from a company on Alibaba for the case below. They are $49 of a "sample" or $39 in quanities of 100. They said the price would be the same for one large enough for 280ah cells and it's made from stainless steel. I think I well order a sample.

1579468620735.png

i am looking for a 8S because 4S means 2 boxes, so it does not really solve the problem. just more cables and nuts.
I think i will go with marine plywood, and eventually a inside layer of acrylic glass if i go for mineral oil cooling bath.
my problem is not cold temperature but hot temperature.
i will probably go with fans , oil is very messy.
The plan would be to use a thermos isolated bottle with a peltier element to cool a bit (one liter) of oil.
if temp of battery increase over a limit, the the oil would be pumped into the case. the hot oil coming out would
go through a radiator and then back into the bottle to be cooled again. that is a bit extreme, so i hope i do not need that.

Last edited:
I have limited space in my battery compartment so I'm trying to keep the case as small as possible. I have a two section compartment for two batteries and one is smaller than the other. If I can keep the battery below 12" inches in length, I can install two. So that's what I'm shooting for but it will mean mounting the BMS above the cells. I plan to 3D print a mount for the BMS that separates it from the cells. It's going to be tight but again, I'm not worried about heat because the battery will suffer very little load.
wow; that is tight. with the eve 280ah cells in a 4S configuration you'll be right at 12" wide. if not mounting the BMS above the batteries maybe along the horz side then ?.

wow; that is tight. with the eve 280ah cells in a 4S configuration you'll be right at 12" wide. if not mounting the BMS above the batteries maybe along the horz side then ?.
I plan to mount the BMS above the cells, but I think mounting it on the side is possible as well. I have the dimension for the BMS and it looks like either way is possible. I just need to get them in my hands so I can play with different configurations. The max width of my RV's battery compartment is 8" inches.

Back