diy solar

diy solar

Battery to Battery charging questions and opinions on my expectations of system

WNCGUY

Hello everyone,

Another new guy here that wants to build a system but currently no experience. I have purchased “The Book” and spent countless hours online and have my first round of expectations from a power system for my van.
Scope if system for minivan.
100-200 Watt of solar, roof mounted.
100 Watt roll up solar panel for additional power generation when parked.
200ah Lithium iron phosphate battery.
1500 to 2000 Watt inverter.
Starter battery capability to charge house battery. (Primary charging source).
Solar charging of house battery. (Secondary charging source).
Shore power with ability to run all house power, charge house battery as well as charge the starter battery if needed.

Since a minivan has so little roof space and I will be putting a tule cargo carrier on the roof, I believe I only have room for one 100-watt panel, or possibly there may be room for a single 200 watt panel. Understanding only a small portion of generated power will come from solar, my starting battery will need to be the primary souse of generated power.

I found the Renogy, DCC50S DC-DC charger with MPPT but it appears that this unit defaults to solar charging of the house battery and will only switch the starting battery when solar is not available. I don’t the Renogy meets my requirements as outlined.
I also found Victron Energy Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC chargers and SmartSolar MPPT charge controller. Would using these two items address my charging option requirement?

Looking for advice on how best to address the charging issues and any other comments about the system as I have outlined.

Back