diy solar

diy solar

Battery type for rough environment..?

Smith

I'm off grid, way out away from decent cell service.. so, I can't get on line unless I go into town..

I'm under the impression that if I use my system in a workshop, with no heat or air, I must use lead acid batteries for durability...?

Is this correct or not...?

Thanks..
Virgil

No, but they are easier. All batteries suffer when hot, and all batteries have implications with cold.

Lead-acid has reduced capacity due to lower temperature.

LFP can't be charged below freezing.

No, but they are easier. All batteries suffer when hot, and all batteries have implications with cold.

Lead-acid has reduced capacity due to lower temperature.

LFP can't be charged below freezing.

I need the best type of battery that can be charged, discharged in hot or cold temperatures..?

I live in Central Missouri..

There is no "best." You decide which set of limitations you want to work with as your "best" may be different from my "best":

FLA: maintenance intensive. 5-6+ year realistic life expectancy if very well maintained.
AGM: 3-4+ year realistic life expectancy.
FLA & AGM: significant capacity loss at low temperatures (easily 50% or more), rapid degradation at high temperatures. Life can be limited to 2-3 years with regular exposure to 100°F+ temps. Limited to 50% discharge to get stated life, so you need to by 2X what you need.
LFP: 6-10+ year life expectancy, more capacity in colder temperatures, more tolerant to heat than FLA/AGM (still not good for them), more usable capacity. 80% discharge recommended for max life. Can't be charged below freezing (some batteries take incoming charge current to heat the battery to a safe temp and then charge), and they have less total current capability due to cell and/or BMS restrictions, but this can be dealt with at the design phase.

I live in AZ. The off-grid compound is at 6800 ft. Annual temps range 5°- 105°F in an uninsulated shipping container with daily swings of about 30°F from high to low (not uncommon to see larger swings inside the container).

I'm currently using FLA temporarily, but I'm working on a big Lithium bank and will eventually insulate to lessen those swings.

There is no "best." You decide which set of limitations you want to work with as your "best" may be different from my "best":

FLA: maintenance intensive. 5-6+ year realistic life expectancy if very well maintained.
AGM: 3-4+ year realistic life expectancy.
FLA & AGM: significant capacity loss at low temperatures (easily 50% or more), rapid degradation at high temperatures. Life can be limited to 2-3 years with regular exposure to 100°F+ temps. Limited to 50% discharge to get stated life, so you need to by 2X what you need.
LFP: 6-10+ year life expectancy, more capacity in colder temperatures, more tolerant to heat than FLA/AGM (still not good for them), more usable capacity. 80% discharge recommended for max life. Can't be charged below freezing (some batteries take incoming charge current to heat the battery to a safe temp and then charge), and they have less total current capability due to cell and/or BMS restrictions, but this can be dealt with at the design phase.

I live in AZ. The off-grid compound is at 6800 ft. Annual temps range 5°- 105°F in an uninsulated shipping container with daily swings of about 30°F from high to low (not uncommon to see larger swings inside the container).

I'm currently using FLA temporarily, but I'm working on a big Lithium bank and will eventually insulate to lessen those swings.
I'll go with FLA for now, I don't need much. Just some lights and run a few tools once in awhile in my little shop..

Thanks..

Back