diy solar

diy solar

Battery Vertical vs. Horizontal Mounting

tucarb

HI Gang - I got one of these Ampere 200ah Plus batteries and am wondering if mounting it in a vertical position is detrimental to the battery and possibly effect longevity?

There is an answered question on the Amazon reviews stating that it is okay but never know who is answering these questions.

I'd love to know how it is packaged inside. If the BMS is on the end with the lugs then if mounting vertically probably be best to keep this end on top.
I'm assuming a vertical mount would be okay but since these end up costing $850 delivered I don't want to make a stupid mistake.

Thanks for any input.

BTW... I ran some usage tests on the batteries capacity... fully charged, 3 cycles down to 11v. Specs seem to be spot on.

You have to verify the orientation with the manufacturer. For those of us with DIY batteries, the question often comes up. At one point, EVE said upright or laying on the long side were acceptable. Other manufacturers don't say anything so you have to assume upright only.

Thanks. I checked with manufacturer. They said vertical orientation is fine but not upside down. (lugs facing down)

Oh this is depressing... I was just looking at 8S2P layouts and thought, if I could stack these terminals to terminals they'd take up a lot less space.
I guess I'll have to re-think it...

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 6.56.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-05 at 6.56.58 PM.png

I guess I could keep them upright but still stack them with the right spec'd bus bars or cable.

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 11.18.02 PM.png

The comment to "not have the lugs facing down" may be specific to the AmereTime batteries.
Not sure.
At first glance... I would definitely choose your second example "lugs up".
Easier to service and safer.
What are you using to separate the two 8s banks?
You do not want to apply the weight of the top bank on the lugs of the lower bank.

I'd like to see what you come up with.

What are you using to separate the two 8s banks?
You do not want to apply the weight of the top bank on the lugs of the lower bank.

I'd like to see what you come up with.
Yeah, there would definitely be a rack to hold all this.
Likely out of 8020, or welded 90 degree aluminum\steel.
I've not designed that yet, I'm just getting all the large objects laid out in my "van" in Fusion 360 to see where\if things fit.

I'll post back when I do though.

Back