diy solar

diy solar

Battery won't charge and MPPSolar inverter won't turn on

scoper12

Hello I am sorry in advanced if this is a noob question or problem.

I have a Big Battery brand Wolf 24v LiFePO4 that use A123 cells in 8S6P that claims to have a low voltage disconnect of 20v, however I let it run down to just under 22v according to the built in voltage reader and I assume the BMS disconnected as I can't get it to turn back on. When I test the terminals it reads 1.9v. I have an MPP Solar 24v AiO inverter LV2424 model but now won't turn on or charge the battery even when full solar power is available or when I try to hook it up to utility.

The MPP Solar manual says that it can't charge up batteries with extremely low voltage <1.4v, even though the terminals read at 1.9 I would assume it should be able to charge but without even being able to turn the battery back on I'm not sure what to do. My only other thought is that I need to get an AC charger for 24v batteries but would like to avoid purchasing any additional tools unless absolutely necessary.

The battery is 8 cell correct? (8S6P). Isn't 1.90vx8 less than 16v? I would think you would want it to cut out at closer to 3v (24v).

So I contacted Big Battery as @snoobler recommended, they gave me instructions on how to reset the BMS but it turns out it was working correctly as I had tested the cells directly and came out to 20.2v so the low voltage disconnect worked normally. So maybe the built in volt reader is off since it read 22 or else I would not have dropped it so low. But now I have to order a stand alone charger to get the battery to turn back on again, once charged maybe they can give me an answer as to why the built in volt reader is off by so much.

There is another thread on Big Battery with bad Volt meter that is out off calibration, he had to ask for the replacement battery from BB due to faulty Volt meter, make sure to read the follow-up.

You should also read this thread:

Hello I am sorry in advanced if this is a noob question or problem.

I have a Big Battery brand Wolf 24v LiFePO4 that use A123 cells in 8S6P that claims to have a low voltage disconnect of 20v, however I let it run down to just under 22v according to the built in voltage reader and I assume the BMS disconnected as I can't get it to turn back on. When I test the terminals it reads 1.9v. I have an MPP Solar 24v AiO inverter LV2424 model but now won't turn on or charge the battery even when full solar power is available or when I try to hook it up to utility.

The MPP Solar manual says that it can't charge up batteries with extremely low voltage <1.4v, even though the terminals read at 1.9 I would assume it should be able to charge but without even being able to turn the battery back on I'm not sure what to do. My only other thought is that I need to get an AC charger for 24v batteries but would like to avoid purchasing any additional tools unless absolutely necessary.
My MPP LV 6048 shut down because we had that low disconnect for the batteries set wrong(I think)?
I turned it off for two days, NOTHING?
But??went out this morning, and it was back up ??‍♀️it had reset itself, and when I turned it on, it began charging the batteries… Obviously VooDoo
Gooood Luck?

So I contacted Big Battery as @snoobler recommended, they gave me instructions on how to reset the BMS but it turns out it was working correctly as I had tested the cells directly and came out to 20.2v so the low voltage disconnect worked normally. So maybe the built in volt reader is off since it read 22 or else I would not have dropped it so low. But now I have to order a stand alone charger to get the battery to turn back on again, once charged maybe they can give me an answer as to why the built in volt reader is off by so much.
I called the local AutoZone and they charged my batteries...If you don’t want to spend the money try that… Good luck

Back