diy solar

diy solar

batteryless start under load

eric82930

Hi all, I searched but can't seem to find much relevant to my issue.
Basically I have a hydronic solar hot water system and a bunch of ac circulator pumps for my in floor radiant heat. I wanted a grid tie electric system with the capability to run the pumps if the grid goes down without having to deal with batteries so I chose a delta h6 inverter from the tesla powerwall because it stated it would run without battery and auto switch do the backup load terminals when grid fails. It works great except in low light, It will give an ac overload and try to restart. after the 3rd try it flags an alarm light and requires a button push to restart. Even if full sun comes back it won't restart until the button is pushed to clear the alarm. this makes it kind of useless as a backup. If the pumps don't work it will boil out my coolant in 15 min of full sun.
I am trying to find a workaround to keep this inverter and wonder the best way to do it. My thoughts are a relay that detects low ac voltage on the load side and will disconnect before the inverter detects the problem, but where to get such a thing? Or a custom circuit with a relay to make the alarm light contact the reset button? And would either of these options need a time delay?
If all else fails I could try to return the inverter and buy something else, but how to know what else will start under load and not give up after 3 trys? My inverter says battery less and dark start capability. What does dark start mean? I can't find any inverters that specifically say they will restart under load without a button reset.

Thanks for the input

Back