diy solar

diy solar

Battle Born 12V (in series) or 24V batteries

TheRealHydrogen

Need some guidance on battery selection. I am still considering between a 24V and 48V system, so I realize this may affect your answer(s), but both 12V and 24V Battle Born packs support being connected in series up to 48V irrespective of battery model.

Most brands other than Battle Born have either questionable QA, lack of a solid track record, or excessively priced (e.g. Lithionics). So I would prefer to stick with Battle Born.

My concern with the 24V Battle Born model is the longevity/support for them longer term as it's not a very common voltage (with more 12V and 48V battery options out there than 24V). The upside for the 24V option is maintaining a purely parallel configuration (for a 24V system) and limiting the number connected in series for 48V.

Thanks!

Your actual application will dictate the voltage - which we don't know what you are doing with.

Some basics come down to dc wiring safety as when to move up in voltage with inverters based on consistent loads:

up to 1KW load - 12v
1K to 2K - 24v
2K and higher: 48 volts (usually 36v is jumped over just due to lesser product availability in that voltage.

In other words, at some point voltage drop due to high current in small(er) wiring dictates a jump up in voltage to keep cable sizes reasonable and safe to operate.

Battleborn is a fine product, but there are others that are also high quality. This forum with a little perusal will help you find them. And in a price range you can afford.

To be taken seriously, I'd avoid making blanket statements about other vendors pricing, quality and reasons for the business model. Some have chosen to abandon the diy market long ago due to people telling them how to run the business. (and the inevitable "rent-n-return" mindset of those who don't actually plan or engineer for their needs.)

Last edited:
Back