diy solar

diy solar

Battle Born BMS hates my freezers

It seems the battery is definitely suspect just from this test....you are sure the battery is charged?

I simplified the test by only plugging in two light bulbs instead of a freezer. You can see that the voltage is 99% to start until I turn on the inverter and immediately it tones off and the voltage on the battery reads 7.0v. From (2) light bulbs totalling 210 watts.
good test...
You are not turning on the inverter with the load already attached right?? It is important to start the inverter up with no load to make sure there are no issues there.

so if that is true, then, well, this is pointing to a bad high resistance connection or perhaps a bad cell in the battery.

When the compressor kicks on it goes up to 60amps for a split second but thats within BB capabilities to my knowledge.

Like someone else said.......add loads to the system until it gradually hits the maximum you expect the system to be able to handle.
This will rule out a bad battery or bad inverter.

If it does not trip, you are dealing with an inductive load exceeding the capabilities of the inverter most likely.

Like someone else said.......add loads to the system until it gradually hits the maximum you expect the system to be able to handle.
This will rule out a bad battery or bad inverter.

If it does not trip, you are dealing with an inductive load exceeding the capabilities of the inverter most likely.
This has been eliminated.
The battery is bad.

OP, what has battleborn responded with?

If you're willing to invest $40-50 or so get a 2-3F supercapacitor and wire it parallel with your battery bank. That'll feed any conceivable surge that the inverter could ever pull without destroying itself.
Out of curiosity I looked into this idea and it has potential — at the expense of some extra $$$ and complexity. It looks like SCs are a lot like batteries in the sense that they need balancing electronics and strict voltage limits to stay healthy. Perhaps it’s naïve to think of them as magic, unlimited current sources because it looks like their discharge profile needs to be managed (CMS? haha) just like a big battery.

Back