diy solar

diy solar

Battle Born + Victron Inverter/charger issue

John Glowacki

2 Battle Born 100ar 12 volt batteries in paralell.

Victron Multiplus Compact 12/2000/80-50 120v inverter charger. It is supposed to provide 2000watts continuous and 3000watts peak.

VE Bus Smart Dongle.

2/0awg copper cable maybe 8 feet long.

This set-up is in our fifth wheel travel trailer. If I am running the air conditioning while connected to shore power, the VE Bus Smart Dongle shows about 1400watts AC out. If the shore power goes down, I lose ALL power, including 12V. 12V comes back after the batteries reset. Battle Born tells me that there must be an instant over current draw, or voltage drop, and the batteries shot down in fail safe mode. The same happens if I try and start the AC on inverter mode. I'm not sure if I have a soft start installed on AC unit, but I can easily start this AC using my Yamaha 2400watt inverter generator.

What am I missing here? I did not build this system to run the RV AC, but I would think it should. Does this seem right?

1400W is the run current of the A/C unit. Startup is closer to 4000W and lasts for longer that most inverters can handle in surge unless appropriately sized.

Your Genny:

" Versatile power in the silent, 2000-watt class - Will run most 13,500 btu RV air conditioners, microwave/convection ovens, or even the biggest hair blow dryer. "

It is likely more surge tolerant than your lower power inverter/batteries.

At 12V, you're trying to pull 300A+ from the BB batteries. They may not allow that.

Installation of one of thse micro-air soft starters would likely make this go away:

Indicates 200A for 30 seconds. 300A+ might cause instant shut down due to tripping the low voltage limit (12V battery drops when you pull a current).

Yeah it your START UP (compressor kicking in) that is significantly higher than your run wattage ... so we run our 6000BTU window units all day on Solar without an issue ... BUT try to run a 15K BTU RV A/C w/ a 3000W inverter and good batteries and you are not going to get very long out of it -- unles you are in sunlight with about 2K of PV ...

Yep. I can run 2 on my 5kW Victron Quattro (which is crazy surge tolerant), but I have to start them separately.

2000VA is not 2000 watts. (Google: real vs apparent power). The Multiplus 12/2000 is only rated at 1600W continuous at 75dg F, and 1450W at 100dg. In a closed compartment, it will very often be over 75dg. It's really a 1450W inverter, which is barely big enough to power an AC with a soft-start, and woefully undersized without a soft-start. I consider Victron's (very popular) 3000w Multiplus to be their 2000 watt inverter.

Victron makes good stuff. It's disappointing that they engage in misleading inverter naming, like the bargain-basement manufacturers often do.

Likewise, small generator suppliers are notorious for misleading ratings. Honda and Yamaha are among the very few that are honest about their numbers.

Back