diy solar

diy solar

Battleborn & SOK 100 amp together

Johndobbs

As long as the chemistry is the same, the voltage and capacity do you guys think it's okay to mix brands I typically don't like to do that but I have a battleborn 100 amp and I'd like to get an sok now because they're cheaper than battleborn I may be running them at 24 volts I'm just not sure if there's any serious safety concerns with mixing brands that are the same chemistry?
Thank you for you guys who have answered my questions over the past year or two I appreciate it.

Putting them in parallel will likely work fine but I wouldn't do it in series. Batteries in series should be identical (and at the same initial SOC before connecting) or you will likely have all kinds of problems due to different internal resistances and BMSes.

If you want a 24V system you should get a 24V battery. It's so much simpler. But in your case, with a pre-existing battery, it's not the cheapest option by far.

Do you have a technical reference for the use of batteries in parallel?
I don't but there are many existing threads on putting different batteries in parallel. Most are about different Ah batteries but I think the general info applies here.

There are also:

and:

Putting them in parallel will likely work fine but I wouldn't do it in series. Batteries in series should be identical (and at the same initial SOC before connecting) or you will likely have all kinds of problems due to different internal resistances and BMSes.

If you want a 24V system you should get a 24V battery. It's so much simpler. But in your case, with a pre-existing battery, it's not the cheapest option by far.
Thank you for that information I appreciate it just got to see how much money I can get aside unless I can work this thing in 12 volts we shall see.

I searched for this thread and want to do the same with one Battleborn 100 Ah and 3 Renogy 100 Ah. Battleborn tech said it was not a good idea.
I wonder if I could do it ok and how I could tell if it caused a problem?
I just made a deal on an RV with all Renogy stuff for batteries and a 3000W inverter/charger that outputs to a 30 amp AC circuit. I would really like to use at least one of my Battleborns as I have two, but I need to leave one battery of some kind in the old RV when I make the swap.

In most cases it's OK to connect two different 12V batteries in series. But you should regularly check each battery voltage. They can easily get of balance. When it happens you need to disconnect them and charge separately. Just try to run such a setup for a few days and see how often you will need to balance them.

In most cases it's OK to connect two different 12V batteries in series. But you should regularly check each battery voltage. They can easily get of balance. When it happens you need to disconnect them and charge separately. Just try to run such a setup for a few days and see how often you will need to balance them.
To me you just described why you don't want to put different batteries in series. They are likely to get out of balance and require a lot of maintenance.

Back