diy solar

diy solar

BCS / BuyCheapSolar 10kwh LifepO4 pack for $2850

MrCaspian

Has anyone looked at these? They're priced decently and seem to spec at almost exactly like the EG4 battery packs Will just posted about (as far as cell type, expected lifecycle, etc). I'm here in Las Vegas where this seller is, so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. Anyone bought from these guys before?

I like the look of those. They have previous versions too but sold out so someone must have experience with them.

I purchased 10kw of solar panels from this guy. Decent prices and really easy to work with. However when I went to pick up my panels, it looks like everything he has is just stored outside at a home in North Las Vegas. I wasn't too worried about solar panels being stored out doors, but if his batteries are kept outside, Las Vegas heat is brutal. Since this is a preorder, it might work out out if he doesn't have them yet and it's cooled off in Vegas.

Looks to be this unit here:

I purchased 10kw of solar panels from this guy. Decent prices and really easy to work with. However when I went to pick up my panels, it looks like everything he has is just stored outside at a home in North Las Vegas. I wasn't too worried about solar panels being stored out doors, but if his batteries are kept outside, Las Vegas heat is brutal. Since this is a preorder, it might work out out if he doesn't have them yet and it's cooled off in Vegas.

Looks to be this unit here:
Good to know. I kinda suspected he was a small time player. He told me he has 1100 of those batteries at the port in LA that should be here in Vegas in the next few weeks. So I'll go ahead and just pick them up as soon as they're delivered. At least it's not too hot out right now :)

I bought 15 of these so I can have a massive battery backup for my house as a part of a solar install. I got quotes from a few "traditional" solar companies, but they are WAY overpriced for 150 kWh of battery backup. So I'm trying now to piece together a whole system myself.

I'd still like to find a good company to review my design and help me finalize it, install panels on the roof and hook up all the equipment to the mains. I'll have to go do some more forum searching to see if there are any recommendations in Vegas, there's probably a whole sub-section for it, but I haven't looked yet.

Since even LiFePO4 batteries have been known to catch fire, suggest mounting where that wouldn't spread to the house (but still climate controlled.)

UL listed, it does say. If true, goes a long way to make your insurance valid.
Suggest looking up the info at UL, confirm it is.

Just for "backup"? That's 10x the capacity of my backup.
Price pretty good, just a bit more than DIY.
With claimed cycle life, you'd never do that much just backup during occasional power failure. I don't expect my AGM to wear out before it ages out.
If peak shaving/shifting saves you money, then it might pay for itself.

Interesting battery.

While I think those could be good - I'm still a bit worried about cells being on their side and the terminals are not up. Cells expand and contract...
How are they mounted inside?

They're priced decently and seem to spec at almost exactly like the EG4 battery
The EG4 batteries cells are sitting on their bottom with the terminals up.

On paper - Lithium batteries shouldn't care about direction - but all EV car maker and most with super long warranties and good track records always face the terminals up.

I bought 15 of these so I can have a massive battery backup for my house as a part of a solar install. I got quotes from a few "traditional" solar companies, but they are WAY overpriced for 150 kWh of battery backup. So I'm trying now to piece together a whole system myself.

I'd still like to find a good company to review my design and help me finalize it, install panels on the roof and hook up all the equipment to the mains. I'll have to go do some more forum searching to see if there are any recommendations in Vegas, there's probably a whole sub-section for it, but I haven't looked yet.
How are those batteries doing now? Any issues? I'd probably drive to vegas to pick them up at that price! Looks like he has new 20KW battery on preorder/ebay. similar pricing.

To be honest I haven't used them yet. I thought it'd be easy to find a solar contractor to come do a panel-only install on my roof, but they all want to do a "full" install that would include a bunch of equipment that I don't need. So if I can find someone to install panels for me without robbing me I'd love to get them hooked up. Scott who runs the place seems young and ambitious and the product seems quality though. Give him an email and chat with him.

To be honest I haven't used them yet. I thought it'd be easy to find a solar contractor to come do a panel-only install on my roof, but they all want to do a "full" install that would include a bunch of equipment that I don't need. So if I can find someone to install panels for me without robbing me I'd love to get them hooked up. Scott who runs the place seems young and ambitious and the product seems quality though. Give him an email and chat with him.
Gotcha - similar experience here- got a quote for $44k for a 7.5kw grid tie solar system using 350watt panels, no batteries rush you to sign, and I was like - uh….. nope. Pandemic is making for tough time to hire contractors to do this work, take risk with components they don’t know or sell. I’ll connect with Scott and see - thanks for the update. I’ve DIYed 1600 watts on my Flat roof, 24v 100ah battery, growatt inverter just for fun and now I’m Looking to add another 4 panels/460W, swap out 24volt growatt(should have listened to will!!!) for a 2 string mppt inverter controller go higher on the voltage and battery storage;BCS has to be the least expensive battery I’ve seen on the market. Hopefully I can sell the batteries and the growatt.

$44k? Ouch. I paid half that for mine and I thought it was expensive enough (though saved me from climbing up on my 2 story roof with panels all by myself!)

$44k? Ouch. I paid half that for mine and I thought it was expensive enough (though saved me from climbing up on my 2 story roof with panels all by myself!)
I laughed at sales guy. Had the nerve to ask if I couldn’t afford it - I just can’t afford to be gouged and ripped off. Getting panels on the roof is tough, made a skid (aluminum cross bars attached to panels and wood skid w ropes) and pulled each one up with a 2nd person - fortunately have second floor patio, can’t imagine doing the same with two stories or a pitched roof. Thought about make a backpack/ harness but the panel to tall and awkward lol.

Is that a 15S or 16S configuration? The manual doesn't say but the charge voltages almost reflect the specs from a 15S battery. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong or something.

Drove to Las Vegas and picked up the 10kw battery and the 6kw inverter - maybe I’ll do an unboxing video- did Will Powse ever review? Would love to see his take on this batter and inverter. I like that the inverter has two phase output and 2 solar string inputs So I can basically use existing string of panels on my roof and add on the eight new panels 460 watt blueSun bifacial - trying to figure out how to rack the eight panels I’d like to use Unistruts But it’s very pricey $75 per 10 foot

Back