diy solar

diy solar

Be careful

Dang! Sorry to see this, glad you're ok.

Looking at the offending cell, looks like the bulk of the heat was localized around one terminal, I also see the busbar in your pictures that I suspect was attached to this terminal.

My guess would be that terminal shorted to the case? Failed isolation disk? or maybe the cells were bloating putting strain on that terminal from the rigid busbar until it shorted?

Using rigid bus bars in harsh environments and exposed to the road vibration including high temperatures in the summer if used in vehicle especially in location posted is disaster waiting to happen. You are lucky to have vehicle still in one peace. Building battery pack for harsh conditions or setups that are exposed to road vibration and temperatures that are easily going over cell temperatures require completely different way how they are designed and built. Definitely lesson learned.

Alternators ! UGH !! They can be the most miserable things to get around, in a "general sense" they are terrible for LFP, given them Brute Force Lead and fine but not any Lithium Based battery.
My primary charge source for 13 years has been an alternator charging at roughly .4C. The bank has well in excess of 2000 cycles and can still deliver full capacity.Alternators are fine it is how people integrate them with LFP that creates issues..

Back