diy solar

diy solar

Be patient with the new/ignorant guy!

I'm thinking that most of the time I'll be in state parks or some other place where I'll have electricity available. For the NEAR future, I'll just need to keep the fridge powered while in transit. But I can see that in the future--mainly after getting the permanent trailer which is several months away--I'll want to do some boondocking and hit some BLM areas.
If you were to always be plugged in then you could get by with no solar and just a small battery to keep the fridge running while driving.

If you want to boondock then you need more battery and probably some solar. It all depends on your level of boondocking. Just for a weekend or for weeks at a time?

All of this plays into the final design. If you want to boondock full-time then you need to minimize electrical items. No electric heat, no electric cooking, etc. Hard choices may lie ahead. :)

I went with propane in my cargo trailer camper. Two 20lb tanks on the tongue. I have a propane stove/oven (Furrion), a propane furnace (Propex), and a propane tankless water heater (Excel). No microwave, no coffee maker (I'm weird, I don't drink coffee). I save my batteries for the A/C in the summer.
Which furnace do you have?
From the looks of the propex line it seems you won't have humidity problems from direct propane heat, confirm?
Which water heater?

Don't need a water heater as I won't have tanks.
Oh, you'll have a tank. You'll want to wash dishes and wash yourself, so even a couple jerry cans of water and a small pump will be needed for living. There are quite a few options for small (like 2 gallon) water heaters or electric on-demands that are sink mounted.

Another thing to consider... in the costuming and cosplay world we have a saying: "That looks great, but can you pee in it?". You'll probably need to figure out something to do with meals AFTER you've eaten them. :)

Last edited:
I'm not following. How will the solar stuff affect my need for lighting?
You may find that it's more effective to go with 12v lights over 120v lights because every time you convert power from one type to the next there's an efficiency loss, so many times it's better to take your (for example) 48v DC battery -> 12v DC @ 95% than it is to take your 48v DC -> 120v AC @ 85% to upconvert it for things like lights. If you end up small enough to go with a 12v system then there's no conversion loss.

Or more commonly you find that the 4ft light you got at Harbor Freight won't fit into the 3.5ft of length you have after you put that wall in there. :)

Rackmount batteries are battery packs built to mount into standard server racks, like the Very popular Gyll series of batteries. Pro's: built to be stacked so easy to mount, can't beat the price/watt-hour, Con's: pretty large so plan accordingly for the footprint, high up-front cost.

Fortunately all the power audit stuff doesn't cost anything but time and a tape measure.

Last edited:
Which furnace do you have?
From the looks of the propex line it seems you won't have humidity problems from direct propane heat, confirm?
Which water heater?
I have the Propex HS2000. The exhaust is vented outside as well as the air intake. The unit is mounted on the floor. Two holes were drilled in the floor to the outside to run an exhaust hose and an intake hose (1" diameter each) under the trailer. The hot air coming from furnace has no extra humidity due to burning propane. It does need electricity to run the blower fan when it cycles on.

The water heater is the Excel tankless and ventless.

Nice solution.
What are the power requirements of the water heater?

I’ve been using a water heater like that for 5 years for showers , I have a 20gal drum for a water tank
And a small 12 volt pump .
We get a good shower with 5 gallons of water .

You are going to need a lot with that list of power hungry items. Before you buy a single thing, do an energy audit. Work out every detail of the electrical system. Post it up for feedback. Once it all looks good and will meet your needs, then start buying stuff.

Okay, so far I am downloading the spreadsheet. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to use it. I've never used one before.

If you were to always be plugged in then you could get by with no solar and just a small battery to keep the fridge running while driving.

If you want to boondock then you need more battery and probably some solar. It all depends on your level of boondocking. Just for a weekend or for weeks at a time?

All of this plays into the final design. If you want to boondock full-time then you need to minimize electrical items. No electric heat, no electric cooking, etc. Hard choices may lie ahead. :)
Yeah, for now I'm not really boondocking. I spent a week before I got my fridge in a few WalMart parking lots. I spent a couple of nights in a couple of Louisiana State Parks. I just spent a week in Poverty Point Reservoir State Park in Delhi, LA, for a whopping $79.75. I'm currently camped in a friend's yard for a week. Then I'll probably head for Palmetto Island State Park and see if I can match that sub $80 week. Then I have my very first disc golf tournament as a pro in Opelousas, LA. They have RV hookups at the park and there appear to be people who LIVE there. So I'll look into getting a space there for a week or two.

But in the future? I can see myself mostly continuing to do the same. But I would like to boondock and experience being totally off-grid at times.

Oh, you'll have a tank. You'll want to wash dishes and wash yourself, so even a couple jerry cans of water and a small pump will be needed for living. There are quite a few options for small (like 2 gallon) water heaters or electric on-demands that are sink mounted.

Another thing to consider... in the costuming and cosplay world we have a saying: "That looks great, but can you pee in it?". You'll probably need to figure out something to do with meals AFTER you've eaten them. :)
For now I've been using disinfecting wipes to do the very small amount of dishes. I'm mostly a sandwich kind of guy. For restrooms I've always had someplace so far. But I haven't looked too far into the future yet.

@Ziggy With It what tow vehicle do you have?
I have a 2015 RAM 1500 Eco Diesel, tuned and deleted (167,000 miles) and Timber Grove Enterprises air bag rear suspension. I spend the few $ to get an oil analysis at every oil change and the engine is looking really good so far. At 100,000 miles I changed the fluid in the transmission and rear end and had those analyzed also, although not really necessary.

On my recent trip I was getting 33 mpg empty with no trailer. With the trailer I'm getting ~15-16 mpg @ 65mph. It actually goes UP in town. The trailer isn't very heavy, so it's all wind drag. :(

Okay, so I went to that spreadsheet and couldn't figure out how to use it. It was already filled in and I got notices about paying for the Microsoft program that I really don't want to pay for to use just this once. Perhaps one or more of you will take pity on me and input the information that I've been able to gather.

Microwave/Convection oven: Power supply 120V/60Hz
Power Consumption (Microwave): 1350W
Power Consumption (Convection): 1450W
Rated Microwave Power Output: 900W
Operating Frequency: 2450MHz

Fridge: The only information that I can find is on the EnergyGuide sticker which says 328 kWh per year. I cannot find any other information and have searched the model # (FMD440M6RVE).

CPAP: Technical specifications 90W power supply unit AC input range: 100–240V, 50–60Hz 1.0–1.5A, Class II 115V, 400Hz 1.5A, Class II (nominal for aircraft use) DC output: 24V 3.75A Typical power consumption: 53W (57VA) Peak power consumption: 104W (108VA)

Edit: Forgot about the heater. I can't find it in the manual. But the numbers I memorized off of the box are: 120V 60Hz 12.5. I hope that's enough for you to get a good idea. Lasko CT22445.

TV

LG UHD 76 Series 55 inch Class 4K Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ® (54.5'' Diag):​

POWER​

• Power Supply (Voltage, Hz)
    • AC 100~240V 50/60Hz
    • Standby Power Consumption
    • Under 0.5W
This is what I can find on my computer which is an LG Gram 17":

BATTERY/POWER​

• Battery
    • 80Wh
    • Battery Cell Type
    • 2 cell lithium ion
    • Battery Weight (in grams)
    • 282g
    • Lithium Battery Energy Content (in Watt Hours)
    • 80Wh
    • Lithium Battery Voltage
    • 7.74V
    • Average Battery Life (in hours) MobileMark® 2014
    • Up to 17.0 hrs*
    • ENERGY STAR® Qualified
    • Yes

Last edited:
1. Go to https://www.openoffice.org and download Open Office. It's free and it's 99.9% compatible with Microsoft Office. Once installed you can open the audit spreadsheet using Open Office instead of Excel.
2. There are three tabs on the audit spreadsheet. You must be looking at the 3rd one labeled "Filled Out Sample". That is an example showing things you might enter. You want to go to the 1st tab labeled "Mobile (AC & DC loads)". Fill in values just in the yellow section.

That’s a good size list of loads .
I would skip the micro wave and cooker off grid , or maybe run a small generator for them off grid .
Lights don’t really use any power so you are good there , the tv is ok just turn down the brightness a little bit and it uses a lot less power .
My c pap uses less power and if it dosent you should look into a new unit .
My old unit uses about 55watts if I add more heat it uses more , I don’t use heat on my unit .
My face would freeze to my mask this time of year , and that brings me to the heater, my system would work down to about 30o temp out side , colder then that my heat would run all the time and kill my battery’s .
I would use a buddy heater some time allso but below 20o I can’t get the trailer warm no matter what .
You frig is ok allso , but just the frig bring your system to medium size .

then you have to mount panels on a flat roof witch kills Power production especially this time of year .
If you mounted 6 300 watt panels flat on your roof with 20” hanging off the back they should fit.
The over hang acts like a small porch if the back door is open .
I would use a 24v 2000watt inverter charger with 200 AH worth of battery to start
I have 3 295 watt panels that bring in 750 watts or a little more at noon on a clear perfect day in June for 4 hours +-
this time of year I get half , 400watts with one string but I have 5 strings ?
on a cloudy dark day I get 200 watts on all 5 string and some times I get now power at all ☹️

First welcome, and yes you could do something like a manual transfer switch to feed both solar converted energy and grid power.
Next you have some decisions that you will need to make. Your Solar setup will be based either on your energy needs that you want to power or your budget you want/have to spend. Sometimes it is an either/or conditional statement.
start with used panes1639756622901.png to save money and new like below for the warranty. my thoughts make it as simple as can
1639756736110.png

Back