diy solar

diy solar

Beckett advanced storage units (24 LI battery modules)

offgridjoeandpeg

I have 24 of these packs and want to use them in my off-grid system. They were taken from a Hygen cell tower 48 volt power supply unit which consists of 11 of these packs charged by a diesel generator (complex system). My question to the forum users is how to add a BMS. Since these are not really able to be dissected the only way I see to add a BMS would be at the posts of each 24 volt plus and as far as I have seen no BMS units are made to do this. The Becket BMS would need reprogramming - company out of business.

I know one person I helped install these in a 48 volt configuration didn't use a BMS and has had no issues thus far. I would be putting them in parallel so 24 of the 24 vdc 42 amp hour units supplying a 4000 watt inverter. Given the cost of equivalent batteries I would like to try but don't want to, as one helpful person quoted, "have the guys with long hoses show up".

Paralleling so many packs is not recommended, right? Barking up the wrong tree?

Can you provide some detail with links or at least descriptions?

# of cells and chemistry, etc.

Sorry I am not up on the adding of links or pictures- I googled beckett 8224s and found a couple ads for these from years back. They are lithium ion packs in 24 vdc configuration. The company isn't supporting this side of their business any longer- so that's a dead end (I've spoken with them twice, each time got the liability excuse). The packs have a can bus for the bms, but like I mentioned the software in the bms determines what pack voltage and number of cells and can't be changed; mine are configured for 11 packs in series.

Modules are 1.1kw/ 42.4 Ah rated. 17.5 lbs each. Life said to be more than 3500 cycles at 80% DOD. There are 7 row of 8 Boston power Swing 5300 cells in each pack. There is an internal 100 amp fuse but not sure if it is placed in the center of the cells or at the end.

I am off grid with AGM batteries that are at the end of life. I love the tools now provided by the web, saved me from wasting more money on lead batteries. Now I just need to get comfortable with either using my set of lithium ion cells or building a lithium phosphate 400+ Ah battery.

Attachments

• BECKETT-8224S-DEFENCE-07_2017_REV1.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
The cycle life suggests LFP, but the nominal voltage and cells are NOT LFP. They are the burney-firey type of lithium chemistry.

In order to safely use those, you'd need to break them down and put in a Lithium 3.7V capable BMS on each parallel cell group.

I vote DIY LFP.

I’m also looking for a solution. The 24V Beckett energy system seems to be discontinued from the company it was manufactured, probably because of the low demand. So unless you find someone who specializes in the configurations of the Becket BMS, I don’t think there’s much to do. I found the 8224s model in my uncle’s old storage unit that he rents from https://bluebirdstorage.ca/storage-units-north-york/ and asked for help from a technical engineer, but it seems like the materials missing can’t be found anywhere. I even tried getting some technical assistance from customer service at beckett energy, only to realize the company was sold and they don’t have any means of communication. I see the post was written a while ago. Did you manage to find a solution?

No. The one person using these for off grid storage just uses without bms. No issues so far after 2 seasons

Back