diy solar

diy solar

beginner bought 2 used Valence U27-12xp batteries.

Nainoa

Hi all, I've been really appreciating reading this forum and have gotten lots of useful information from it so far. I have a few questions that I couldn't find the answers to on the Valence super thread post (maybe I just missed it?)

I've bought 2 of the U27-12xp batteries thinking they were like the smaller ones Will broke down on youtube with the internal BMS. (yes I know, should have done my homework better.) I'm planning to use them for an off-grid van build. I want to run the 2 Batteries in parallel and have them charge off of solar, the vehicles alternator via a DC-DC charger, and shore power when needed. My question is this: Do I need to worry about actively balancing the batteries, or will being in parallel do that for me? If not, will the Thunderstruck VC1 BMS activate the internal module to module cell balancing? ( I apologize if I am not using correct terminology, I'm very much a beginner). I know that the Thunderstruck needs to be hooked up to a contactor or relay to be able to disconnect the battery, but will it provide the 5v necessary to "wake up" the batteries internal balancing function? And finally, does anyone know if the Thunderstruck will trigger a contactor on low/high temperature based on the internal temp sensors in the batteries?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post! I'm very new to all this, so I really appreciate this wealth of information here! :)

Back