diy solar

diy solar

Beginner DIY EVE 280AH Prismatic LiFePO4 cells system

Hey guys here's a suggestion for protecting the cell's exposed terminals.....silicon rubber!
20230407_230241.jpg

Somebody's probably done it before but if not it's a pretty economic and safe method for protecting the terminals. You can probably buy little plastic or rubber busbar/terminal covers from china.
But this is custom made and will suit any of ye're builds?

Hey guys here's a suggestion for protecting the cell's exposed terminals.....silicon rubber!
View attachment 143910

Somebody's probably done it before but if not it's a pretty economic and safe method for protecting the terminals. You can probably buy little plastic or rubber busbar/terminal covers from china.
But this is custom made and will suit any of ye're builds?
Make sure that any silicone you use is safe for electronics. It may contain ammonia, which will react with the copper and aluminum.

Make sure that any silicone you use is safe for electronics. It may contain ammonia, which will react with the copper and aluminum.
Yeah many thanks I should have stated that previous, sorry guys for any confusion.

Justgary is bang on correct there, and the silicon I used is suitable for electrical components.

I'll find the link to the stuff I used from a local supplier.

Here's a pic I'd taken of my silicone before application.
20230407_111609.jpg

Smooth-On is the manufacturer and their specific product I used is called OOMOO 30, and I checked with the supplier previously before purchasing it and told him exactly what I was using it for.

And in the last sentence in below pic it states clearly enough that the product is suitable.
20230407_115255.jpg
I've no affiliation whatsoever with the supplier and or company Smooth-On but only sharing it here as a suitable alternative if ye have bare terminals exposed ?.

And thanks again Justgary I should have made it clear previously ?

fantastic job eoin. im in belfast and contemplating buying the same cells from NKON whats your verdict on them?

I've no affiliation whatsoever with Overkill Solar and the only reason I purchased them was following Will's suggestion in one of his videos. So while I may suggest in my limited opinion as a beginner they are fantastic with a huge amount of data that is available and also programmable/changeable with limited pc/IT skills.....I love them for their simplicity.

They are not the cheapest by far but do allow the user to control a considerable amount of cell autonomy over some of the cheaper BMS's.

Also I purchased them as I'm new to this battery DIY building (but not new to R&D and building). But because Will stated they are a very good make and build and the company undergoes testing of their BMS's and supplies test sheets to collate their test results, (which are then supplied with each BMS), hence their slightly dearer costs to reflect the companies input.
Also I've had a few emails to and from from Overkill customer support who were extremely helpful and reasonably quick with responses.

Using my Victron 500a shunt for the capacity testing and taking readings, I've played around with a few iterations of cell capacity percentage figures, (including those supplied when I asked Overkill solar customer service ) for the EVE cells. These readings were different to those supplied in the BMS program. And I've since changed them again going by the Shunt's accuracy.
So here's a screenshot of the final iteration of voltage readings I've inputted into my BMS.

These voltage readings appear to reflect a fairly accurate cell capacity percentage.

While I'm not a guru and still learning this fascinating discipline, it's a reasonably accurate reflection on the EVE 280ah Prismatic LiFePO4 cells capacity voltages. Over time I will be keeping an eye on the bank and may update the readings again but the changes won't be substantial.
1709424380337.png

andys settings from the off grid garage on his overkill solar BMS. his is 48v tho

Back