diy solar

diy solar

Beginner looking for advice on a basic system

GameboyRavioli

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to solar. I'm going to be replacing my shed soon and thought it'd be a great opportunity to get some power to it. I was thinking about setting up a basic solar system for it. Essentially I'd be looking to power:
  • a stereo receiver (listed at 200w peak), a subwoofer (listed at 100w peak) for maybe 1-2 hours at a time a few days a week.
  • occasionally run a table saw or less power-hungry tools
  • a lightbulb or two
  • maybe a security camera (ie ring, wyze cam, etc)
  • maybe a garage door opener if we build a small garage rather than a shed
  • maybe a space heater, but probably not given the draw
So I guess my questions then are how to make this happen? I found this site through one of Will's videos. He is now my hero! Would the following be sufficient?
  • Two of these panels (or similar)
  • Ecoflow Delta Pro (no additional batteries)
And if the above would work for my needs, I had a few questions:
  • Is it safe to leave the Delta Pro plugged in 24/7?
    • Ecoflow told me: "It is not recommended to use our power station 24/7, you can use it as the emergency back-up."
    • I understand batteries only have so many charges before degradation occurs. If they're 8500 to 80% (or whatever that number is) is true, that's a-ok by me as that's years.
  • Given that I'm in PA and this would be outdoors in an unheated shed (will eventually add insulation, but not immediately), how bad is that for the Delta Pro?
  • Can it be left in the shed year round even though I'd guess the winter can get to -15F (-26C)?
  • I believe it's in WIll's video I linked above where he talked about a rack mount battery essentially sensing the temperature and changing charge habits accordingly for safety. Does the Delta Pro do this do we know?
  • Would I need to / Should I have a grounding rod in the earth for this setup?
  • Would it be possible to safely wire output from a delta pro to a sub-panel / breaker box so I could wire the shed like it's on the grid? If not, that'd be ok. Just trying to avoid running cords all through the shed if possible. Ideally, I don't want to strip an extension cord.
    • I found this thread which talks about doing what I want. Still not an ideal solution, but sounds like it could work. To be safe, I'd probably consult a local electrician to be on the safe side if I decide to do this.
I thought about building the budget system from Will's video I linked to. Two things give me pause:
  • The 48V system could kill me and that'd be luck!
    • Note: Not saying the Delta Pro couldn't, but at least I don't have as many connections to fiddle with and wires to run. It's basically plug in the MC4 connector and you're done...I think.
  • The power goes out at my house more than I'd like. Usually not for more than 6-8 hours, so I don't think I need a whole house backup. But I love that I could disconnect the panels from the Delta Pro and move it inside to power our fridge, freezer, and blower on our fireplace in an outage.
Apologies for the long post everyone. Like I said, I'm a beginner and there's A LOT I don't know. Trying to do my best to educate myself!

Last edited:
Is it safe to leave the Delta Pro plugged in 24/7
For the money you can do a lot more power if you don’t use a portable ‘power station’ and you’ll be able to 24/7 run stuff.
inside to power our fridge, freezer, and blower on our fireplace in an outage.
Extension cord would do it cheap- unless your shed is 500 feet away or something

The delta pro is only 30Ah?! Am I reading that wrong? For $3699?!! Or $1400?
Either way. That hurts my head.
Would it be possible to safely wire output from a delta pro to a sub-panel / breaker box so I could wire the shed like it's on the grid?
Ecophlo sells stuff to integrate to a home

There’s just no way I’d buy that stuff

Plus in a shed- installed stuff versus an easily carried heavy toaster with a handle seems like it would learn to walk away much easier than stuff bolted to a wall that doesn’t merely unplug.

We have lithium batteries and solar panels but we are stuck on what kind of inverter/controller to get that would run our 100ft 240v 3/4hp & 120v lits

We have lithium batteries and solar panels but we are stuck on what kind of inverter/controller to get that would run our 100ft 240v 3/4hp & 120v lits
You should start a thread with your question and descriptive title to allow keep from sidetracking this threads question and answers.
You will need to include panel and battery info to get a meaningful answer.

For the money you can do a lot more power if you don’t use a portable ‘power station’ and you’ll be able to 24/7 run stuff.

Extension cord would do it cheap- unless your shed is 500 feet away or something

Either way. That hurts my head.

There’s just no way I’d buy that stuff

Plus in a shed- installed stuff versus an easily carried heavy toaster with a handle seems like it would learn to walk away much easier than stuff bolted to a wall that doesn’t merely unplug.
Sorry for the delayed response. I forgot I ever made this post!

The shed definitely isn't 500 ft, but I'd probably need a good 150-200 ft. Is that safe? (serious question. I honestly don't know)

It's 3000wh or thereabouts.

I figure at this point it'd make a lot more sense and be cheaper to essentially wire in a standard generator transfer switch in to my house and plug in the 30 amp output to it

I'm still torn because I want the shed to feel like it's "on the grid", so I feel like the "right" way is build it out. But I'm also dumb and don't want to burn my new building down. :)

Last edited:
shed definitely isn't 500 ft, but I'd probably need a good 150-200 ft. Is that safe? (serious question. I honestly don't know)
Not safe if you hit it with a lawnmower or the dog chews it …

Over the winter instead of supplementing with a generator I ran ? 150’ to my friend’s barn with a 12ga three-wire single-run extension cord ( average max I drew was like 2-3A) and that was safe. I did peruse the subpanel and metered stuff; incoming goes through a GFCI.

It was safe

You could bury 10ga 3-wire UF in conduit.
want the shed to feel like it's "on the grid"
Easy enough to do

These power requirements are not your basic system.
  • a stereo receiver (listed at 200w peak), a subwoofer (listed at 100w peak) for maybe 1-2 hours at a time a few days a week.
  • occasionally run a table saw or less power-hungry tools
  • a lightbulb or two
  • maybe a security camera (ie ring, wyze cam, etc)
  • maybe a garage door opener if we build a small garage rather than a shed
  • maybe a space heater, but probably not given the draw
For a table saw and a space heater, depending on size of hp motor and heater wattage, you are looking at least 3000+ watt inverter and possibly 5000 watt and above like mine. Then your battery bank will need to be able to handle your inverter requirements. If you are going that direction you are not thinking a basic system.

Back