diy solar

diy solar

Beginner needs to buy components before going to Mexico

Ya we are in a bad way up here
I would sell out and move down to Mexico
In a second , the only thing that is stoping me is the wife and 15 kids and grand kids

3,5 Kw panels in 5 strings , Outback inverter, charge controller , mate and com unit, 127 A/H rolls batteries in 48 V and grid tied, lighning protected at panels side and the whole house at grid side .

In a second , the only thing that is stoping me is the wife and 15 kids and grand kids
We have place enough over here .

10 miles to small town
I get the phone to turn on about 3/4 up my drive way.
If I look at my service cloud on line the top of my Mountain should have service but it just Dosent work all the time .
I have to sit on a rock in the yard , I have a single booster on the ridge of the cabin and it helps , I have 3 bars now , but drops down to one and then none .
A few years ago it worked better ,
They must of moved the tower or some thing ?
I hear ya. I switched to T Mobil this year bc calling and internet while out of the country is free. Usually I don’t have phone service and forget internet but now phone is great and I can get 3G if I stand in just the right spot. I’m looking for pay as you go satellite internet for the future.

I hear ya. I switched to T Mobil this year bc calling and internet while out of the country is free. Usually I don’t have phone service and forget internet but now phone is great and I can get 3G if I stand in just the right spot. I’m looking for pay as you go satellite internet for the future.
Do you have Telmex cell service at your casa in Mexico? Had some friends who got insanely good cell data service even though they lived in edge of nowhere, Jalisco. It was something like this: https://telmex.com/web/hogar/internet-inalambrico-telmex

So to wrap this up. First of all thank you all for the help. It’s been invaluable. I’m getting the Outback charge controller and the Giandel 3000 watt 12v inverter. It looks like they come with the wires needed to hook them up. What else should I take with me?

Nice places listed , that seams expensive
For Mexico
I was thinking you could get a nice place for 150k
300s seams like alot for a 2 bed room .

Out back has no wires I used 4g in the lugs on the controller. If you buy the out back thru AWS
You can look to them for help setting it up .
There are just setting in the unit that I had no clue about and the directions are a little hard to follow
The guys walked me thru every setting .
Today there are a lot of YouTube videos on how the controlleg works.

Nice places listed , that seams expensive
For Mexico
I was thinking you could get a nice place for 150k
300s seams like alot for a 2 bed room .
It depends what you nice find, and also in Mexico , location, location, location .
By the way the link was for my house .
Find a property with 22.5 meter front side , water well and so on, it is not cheap but also not expensive and very well build and designed, under my remote supervision .
build is fully documented with pictures.
Did you go trough all the pictures of villa Hofman ?
2 BIG bedrooms !
but beauty is in the eye of the beholder it is clearly nothing for you .
and a lot of people have toughts about Mexico but no experience , we are living a long time in Mexico and it is FANTASTIC but the first 2 a 3 years you have to learn and un learn a lot, call it a little culture shock .

O no I thought it was very nice , I’m a custom builder ,I can see the Quality .
I could live in a grass hut on the cost , catching my dinner I don’t even need power .
all 3 of my homes are 3000+ sf 5/6 bed rooms , my cabin has 3 bath rooms
I built my cabin my self with my son on weekends .
I’m in year 5 now but stoped working on it in 2019 when covid started I still need a kitchen and a few bath cabinets
there is a 2car garage but I still need to put up a shop building
most of the lumber was cut from hemlock on site so that is a project buy it self .

O no I thought it was very nice , I’m a custom builder ,I can see the Quality .
I could live in a grass hut on the cost , catching my dinner I don’t even need power .
all 3 of my homes are 3000+ sf 5/6 bed rooms , my cabin has 3 bath rooms
I built my cabin my self with my son on weekends .
I’m in year 5 now but stoped working on it in 2019 when covid started I still need a kitchen and a few bath cabinets
there is a 2car garage but I still need to put up a shop building
most of the lumber was cut from hemlock on site so that is a project buy it self .
I can help it , I´m dutch and like reinforced concrete bricks and mortar, a wooden house in Europe is nice but only in the Alps !
We had several BIG hurricanes over the house and no damage ROCK solid, just watching movies and having a cold beer .
And the next day a big garden clean up , and o my the pool looks than like a swamp .
The house is around 2500 sf, property around 4500 sf.
we thought that was big enough for 2 people

Last edited:
Tomorrow changing out the burned up breaker installing the change over switch for the Generator , it already had his 5 hours running in on a low load and oil change, still waiting for the new lightning protector.
If it is DRY !!

Really 4500 sf seams small ? I thought there was lots of land south of the border.
I have the top of the Mountain around my cabin 22 acres +-
of course my place will be a frozen wast land in a couple of months but it’s nice to have land around you .

Really 4500 sf seams small ? I thought there was lots of land south of the border.
I have the top of the Mountain around my cabin 22 acres +-
of course my place will be a frozen wast land in a couple of months but it’s nice to have land around you .
My properetry is on the Pacific golden coast . it seem to make a bit diferencve if you go inland the prices are much lower but no water, just cactus and sun .
A property like this in the Netherlands goes fast for a million EURO

Back