diy solar

diy solar

Beginner needs to buy components before going to Mexico

You can get cheap very heavy alu cable in mexico, in my opinion that will be the cheapest an less complicater way, what is the amperage of the 12 V pump ?
The distance is not that long .
Thanks, like the other stuff down there I’m not sure about the amperage of the pump. I know it was for a motor home. It would be great to run wire to it versus a separate system.

Thanks, like the other stuff down there I’m not sure about the amperage of the pump. I know it was for a motor home. It would be great to run wire to it versus a separate system.
That would be around 6-8 Amps not a problem at all , a number 8 copper cable will do easy for 60 feet, 6 alu cable, if the price is not much diferent go for copper .
You do not have a multi meter with an 20 A range or even 10 Amp range ?

Last edited:
run the water line down to your hot water heater then hook up the pump and move the water to where you need it .
I agree. San Felipe said the water tanks were gravity, so it should hit the pump ok. Then the wire run can be shorter. If the tanks are 15-20’ then the RV pump can actually pump to a second floor if you have that need because the water won’t have any weight until it’s over the tank height.
If you can use 3/4 flex plastic pipe to the pump it will be pretty decent I think.

And yes, RV pumps 5-9 or 10 amps, tops. Mine’s 6.5 Amp, 6 is probs average, and they can do about 35-45 psi

That would be around 6-8 Amps not a problem at all , a number 8 copper cable will do easy for 60 feet, 6 alu cable, if the price is not much diferent go for copper .
You do not have a multi meter with an 20 A range or even 10 Amp range ?
Thanks, I do have a multimeter, I’m just not in Mexico where the pump is but I found out it draws 5 amps. I’m wondering about the best option. I can run wire from the battery room or use a small inverter off the 110 plug that’s closer to the water tanks. Thoughts? If I go with a small inverter what size would I use?

I agree. San Felipe said the water tanks were gravity, so it should hit the pump ok. Then the wire run can be shorter. If the tanks are 15-20’ then the RV pump can actually pump to a second floor if you have that need because the water won’t have any weight until it’s over the tank height.
If you can use 3/4 flex plastic pipe to the pump it will be pretty decent I think.

And yes, RV pumps 5-9 or 10 amps, tops. Mine’s 6.5 Amp, 6 is probs average, and they can do about 35-45 psi
Correct. The tanks are on the roof just above the loft area that has a 1/2 bath. My plan is to install 1 OD water heater for the right side of the house, which feeds 2 bathrooms and one on the left side for one bathroom. I only supply hot water to the showers, not the sinks.

Thanks
Steven

sigineer is a chinese trading company ,not a Taiwanese, they told lies. their product is a copy junk. lost more than USD:1000
They are a Chinese company, I stand corrected.
Do you have any evidence that they don't design and manufacture their products?

Last edited:
Welp, we just got back. When we left it was 75-80 each day but there‘s a cold snap of 60 right now. We left wearing shorts but by the time we drove through OK it was in the 30’s. As for the solar, what y’all recommended was perfect to the point where its a little more than I need right now, but that’ll change. The install was very straightforward. My issue now, I think, is my panels. I’m not getting to a full charge most days unless I intentionally save power. We have 3 different age and brands of panels. I took pictures of the back of the ones that still had them. I have Kyocera KC1307M or is could be KC130TM from December 2006 and UL-Solar STP140P age unknown. These appear to be the newest. My multimeter broke so I couldn’t see any renderings other than what’s on the charge controller. The highest reading I saw was 45 amps coming in. I’m thinking of getting 2 250 watt panels and using my old charge controller for them alone. What say you? Also, my neighbor says I should put the panels in parallel to get the power to my batteries quicker? Either way, I’m going to put new wires on the panels as some of mine look awful, and are 25 years old. I’m heading back in March so I have some time, with your help, to figure this out.
Thanks

So can you upload the panel pics? At 12V 45A is 540W but how many panels again?

Plus I few photos would be nice anyway :)

Will do. There are a total of 7 panels. Here are some pics of the 2 types that still had stickers on them, of which there are 3 of each.

Attachments

• 85DC5309-0C22-42FE-A734-F947FC9E3F6B.jpeg
    85DC5309-0C22-42FE-A734-F947FC9E3F6B.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 6
  • BB8E1604-DB07-4744-9CD2-51F056A73A50.jpeg
    BB8E1604-DB07-4744-9CD2-51F056A73A50.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 6
I would probably get enough three or 350 watt panels to fill up your mppt controller then put some of your old panels on a regular controller .
you are probably better off starting fresh since you are so far away .

Hi Naibor/Steven, I took over my Mom and Dads house in the South campos about 6 years ago, like you were, my 12V system is old and I’m tired throwing money at it..
We are only able to use the home maybe twice a year (still working, lol) but it’s time to upgrade the solar, that’s why I’m here to learn and it was nice reading through your post and wanted to say hi!
I’ll be starting my own post and hopefully figure out what I’ll need to gather up for my next trip down in April 2022.
Happy New Year!
Scott

Nice good luck to you .
I wish I was in Mexico with some sun ☀️
I haven’t got more the 400 watts in 3 days ?

Thanks Wellbuilt, it is one place that is hard to leave once you get there!
Would it be best to start a new thread or just post here since it is very similar to San Felipe BC’s post?

Back