diy solar

diy solar

Beginner Off-Grid system for EV charging

Rodhugo

Hello,

I am new to the forum so I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere else. I have not found it however.

I am going to build a “small” solar system whose primary use will be charging my EV (Kia Soul with a 28 kWh battery). the secondary use will be as a battery back-up for home use in-case of a grid outage. At this point, I will not directly connect it to the house. I just want to be able to charge portable Power Stations to keep the fridge running.

The space for the panels on my roof will be limited to about 6 maybe 8 panels, so I would like the most watt density I can get.

My main questions are:

Recommended:

panels
I would like to use and all in one MPP Solar that eventually I could make 220V
Batteries

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rod

400 watt panels is about as big as they make them nowadays.

You realize it could take weeks for a single charge with this setup you are describing.

Yes, alas I have a restriction with both budget and placement for the solar panels.

I typically charge 4-6 kWr per day (short commute).

The idea is to have a home battery back-up and do some EV charging when possible. In the future, I will be able to expand using a different location.

As I work through this, the batteries are the piece that I probably need most help with. My idea is I would like to start with a small battery system but be able to expand to a much larger size.

I appreciate the reply.

I have an off grid cottage, and have recently bought an EV. I have played with a small DIY system and quickly learnt building a system right the first time is much cheaper than constant upgrades. As batteries become cheaper, i plan on adding some large storage in the coming years. My thoughts are to build a large solar array, with a large controller inverter. I am hoping this allows me to charge my EV with direct sunlight, thru the day, battery storage for my cottage needs is minimal ATM. This should allow me to expand my cottage storage in time. Converting even more carbon burning items to clean energy. Charging at my cottage is for convenience, as there are commercial chargers a out 30 minutes away, typically spend a week at a time, so 110v charging would be adequate, but as others in the family purchase ev’s i want a good charging infrastructure moving forward.
Batteries are a large expense, does anyone see flaws in my logic. Thinking of starting with 10 or 12 panels as roof space permits!
Presently i have 3 (soon to be 4) 12v 76amp AGM batteries that will do what i need for cottage storage atm.

Back