diy solar

diy solar

Beginner Question: Grid-Tie Inverter Mains Connection

Roam

Hey everyone

I'm super comfortable with off-grid solar setups, but have recently been looking at setting up a grid-tie system to take advantage of the local power utility's purchase incentive scheme. I have zero familiarity with connecting to mains or the grid, so my question is: assuming I've let the power utility know about my intention to install, how would I physically install the inverter to the mains? Can I simply plug it into a wall socket next to the board and let it run?

Thanks in advance!

your local power company will tell you what they want

What geographic location will the grid-tie be installed?
In the US, grid-tie is generally back fed into the electrical system via a 2 pole breaker in the main panel or subpanel. In some cases a line side tap infront of the main breaker may be used but is much more complicated and not that common.

Can you relocate the Grid out of the Main Breaker to hook up to the inverter and the inverter power could feed back to the main breaker where grid was tied in? I'm sure the wires from the meter base would have to be re-run to another breaker then to the inverter.

Last edited:
Can you relocate the Grid out of the Main Breaker to hook up to the inverter and the inverter power could feed back to the main breaker where grid was tied in? I'm sure the wires from the meter base would have to be re-run to another breaker then to the inverter.
Best to rephrase your question and start your own post.

Back