diy solar

diy solar

Beginner - Shed power

Kasey

Newbie here. I am working on bringing some power to my garden shed. I have the basics done but now I'm trying to figure out the best way to introduce some motion sensing lights on the exterior. What's better? splicing the LED security light to an extension cord and plugging it into my inverter (seems sketchy) or wiring up my inverter to a small breaker panel and wiring my lights to that? Right now all I'm using it for is the led lights that are included in the kit for the inside of the shed. Just want to add some motion sensor lights to the exterior. Below is what I have hooked up so far. I also purchased the Thunderbolt 100W charge regulator but wasn't sure if I needed it with the controller and if I do how to hook both up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Harbor Freight Thunderbolt 100 Watt Solar Panel Kit (4 x 25W panels and 100W controller)
  • JUPITER 750 Watt Continuous/1500 Watt Peak Modified Sine Wave Power Inverter
  • SLADC12-35J Duracell Ultra 12V 35AH Deep Cycle AGM SLA Battery

After reading a few other posts here I'm thinking I reserve my inverter only when I need to use an appliance like a saw or charging the edger battery. Instead I'm thinking I should add a fuse block from the load of the controller and just run some DC security lights off the fuse block. Seems like I'll waste less juice and it would eliminate the need for a breaker box. Thoughts?

Yeah less loss, and if you're not using the inverter you can shut it off so it isn't idle drawing, and the DC circuit will keep going!

Thanks! Having a tough time finding a decent DC motion light. Anybody have any suggestions? Also, the fuse blocks I've seen are one wire terminals. The few options of lights I've seen are two wire. What am I missing? Wrong type of fuse block or how do you wire up the light to a one terminal block?

I use a bunch of these around my place. Motion detectors, solar charged and self contained. About $30 for 4 of them. I have had the first ones I bought going for about 3 years now. From Amazon.

Attachments

• 71o1Q5+Lm5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71o1Q5+Lm5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2
I use a bunch of these around my place. Motion detectors, solar charged and self contained. About $30 for 4 of them. I have had the first ones I bought going for about 3 years now. From Amazon.
Thanks. I had these on my old shed but now I'm looking for something to run off the battery my panels are charging.

12 volt version

I got a bunch of these lamps at box stores clearence, Lowes, Walmart, They are 16volt ac but work fine on dc down to 4 volts some of them.

Back