diy solar

diy solar

Benchtop DC Power Supply Wanptek

Haro274

Been looking for a bench top tester that can charge my 4s 280ah lifepo4 12 volt battery as well as test individual cells, the cheaper units just seem to have low Amps and would take to long to do multiple cells (have 16 cells).
Was looking at this Wamptek KPS 1560D 15V/60a mdl, any thoughts?

Thanks for the reply
Interesting that you can't set what you need.
Please check back in and let me know how it goes

I've been using it all day. When I connect it to a cell with an ~40% charge, it will charge at 26 amps even if I have it set higher. It will reduce to fewer amps as the SOC increases. It is working for me to prep each cell for the next discharge test with my EBC A40L capacity tester.
Have you checked the battery terminal voltage vs the supply output voltage? You may need some heavier cables to get 60 amps.

I did think that these chargers were suppose to start dropping the amps as the voltage rises?

I did think that these chargers were suppose to start dropping the amps as the voltage rises?
The change in battery potential changes the circuit calculation and the amps drop.
Charging source just makes the power available and does not control the drop in current.

I have the 30v at 40 amp version. It runs hot, but works fine. How many amps depends on the cables and connectors used. I also have the Tekpower 15v at 40 amps, it does not run hot.

The closer you are to set voltage, the less amps (ohms law). A fully discharged cell will get 40 amps no problem, but it will spend the majority of time at 30 to 20 amps using 8 gauge wire and ring terminals or good lugs. Mine has no problem being set to 3.65v.

I thought I should expound on the "it runs hot". Remember, this is the 30v at 40 amps version, and this was taken while putting out 40 amps for a single cell (i.e. under 3.65v). If you are familiar with a 1u server fan, same pitch, just not as loud.

Model 3040D (FYI, temperatures are in Fahrenheit)

Attachments

• IRAY0001.jpg
    IRAY0001.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IRAY0002.jpg
    IRAY0002.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back