diy solar

diy solar

Benefits of adding Optimizers to RV new panels installation?

Boondock Saint

Solar Enthusiast
I've had the Tigo and SolarEdge optimizers bookmarked for a long time. Now that I've purchased 5 of the Trina 410w panels, I need to buy the optimizers or not.

With 3 panels in series on a SCC and 2 panels in series on another SCC, do you think adding an optimizer to each panel is worth the cost?

Would the Tigo TS4-R-O be the best unit for an RV fighting the shade issues?

Do you have a good USA supplier?

Thanks in advance.

Seems like more cost and hassle than it's worth. I was parked in a spot last weekend where mid-day sun was full, with shade in the morning and afternoon. I still hit 100% on my state of charge with just 640 watts of panels mounted flat on the roof.

A couple of things I would note, the SE optimizers are only compatible with SE inverters. SE inverters (to my knowledge) are strictly grid-tied inverters therefore would not be compatible with an RV setup. Tigo system is useful for monitoring your panels, I think they might be beneficial in your case at least for monitoring panels. However, given such small arrays I do not think they will have much to optimize. Either way the majority of the string is effected by shading optimized or not. You will have to assess if you want to monitor your panels individually to make it worth the installation hassle.

Back