diy solar

diy solar

Best $1500 option for 4000 watt hours of battery power? Help......I'm getting very lost in this.

That’s really based off the inverter. I only see the battery size.

If you are asking what size inverter to buy, that’s a loaded question based off loads and how long you run them.
So do you folks know, can I still somehow use the 12 volt inverter with a 24 volt battery pack, or should I return it for a 24 volt inverter? I don't plan on needing more than 2000 surge watts when 2 small refrigerators turn on at the same time...Normal usage will be around 400 watts per hour

I thought I read or saw on one of the 1,000 stories and you tube videos I've watched they made an inferior product? If I'm mistaken it does sound like a great deal. I wonder if people have any trouble with warranty service from a Chinese company? I wouldn't want to have to pay for shipping it back. lol

I thought I read or saw on one of the 1,000 stories and you tube videos I've watched they made an inferior product? If I'm mistaken it does sound like a great deal. I wonder if people have any trouble with warranty service from a Chinese company? I wouldn't want to have to pay for shipping it back. lol
Sorry, I misremembered. I was thinking of Amperetime, which Will Prowse on YouTube seemed to think was ok, as long as you don’t need internal cold temp monitoring. You have to either spend more, build your own, or buy a weird brand. I think those are your only options. Here’s the YouTube review I was thinking of: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/lithium-batteries.html

Last edited:
Sorry GSXR1000, I had written that in another post and I just realized I didn't state it here. I am tied to the grid and we have rolling blackouts and weekly outages. I'm looking for an overnight solution when the power is out for now and I want it to power a few loads that I can manually switch on. I just don't want to listen to the generator at night but really need the fans and fridge as it's in the Bahamas. Down the road when I'm there on a more regular basis I will want to add panels.
What Amp and voltage of your refrig? you need to do power audit for your consumption before buying battery and an inverter.

What Amp and voltage of your refrig? you need to do power audit for your consumption before buying battery and an inverter.
I have. My fridge with average use, uses 1500 watts per day, 700 starting watts and 107 when running watts plus 4 watts for the led light inside. My DC fans pull 32 watts on high speed, moving 6800 cfm, but I never use all of them (4), at the same time on high. They're 9 speed fans and normally if it's under 95 degrees they stay about 8 the highest with is I believe 27 or 28 watts per hour. I have a few led lights @ 7 watts ea. and my TV draws 95 watts. I have a backup fridge for beer so I like that on as well but not sooo important :) (well that depends on the day I guess)
I'm thinking approx 3-400 watts per hour for at least 6 hours and I would like it to work for 8-10 hous if possible but 6 minimum. I do have a 12 volt water pump that I can put in place of my shallow well pump for these times but not a big deal as I can scoop a bucket of salt water to flush if it's that time....

Can you get 8 golf cart batteries where you’re at? Those should get you in excess of 4kwh for less than 1500.

If I’m reading your requirements, a 2000 watt inverter may work. It’s the spin up of the fridge compressor motor I think may drive it over a 2 kw.

Can you get 8 golf cart batteries where you’re at? Those should get you in excess of 4kwh for less than 1500.

If I’m reading your requirements, a 2000 watt inverter may work. It’s the spin up of the fridge compressor motor I think may drive it over a 2 kw.
Whatever I end up getting they have to be shipped to me on a freighter. As is everything else here that can't come in by plane. So smaller and lighter is cheaper to get here. The other thing is I want to keep maintenance to a minimum.

24v saves you on wire and charge controller (2x panels for SCC) and slightly higher efficiency

for small systems not a big deal either way

Someone else recommended Chins Lithium. Seem to be cheaper priced, wonder if it's because they're cheaply made?
I have 2 units of CHINS batteries (12V-200Ah and 24V-200Ah). Both passed CHINS spec on self discharge rate and 0.1c capacity tests. And functional BMS.

Someone else recommended Chins Lithium. Seem to be cheaper priced, wonder if it's because they're cheaply made?
It's because they are made in China, with all that implies from warranty support.

You specified warranty support, those that I gave have US based support and warranty. You do pay extra for that.

Frequently Costco has the Lion batteries at 2 for $1400, but I don't spot them currently.

Last edited:
So, I just purchased 2 x 200 AH Ampre Time batteries and noticed it said 100A BMS, then I also saw they have a newer version with a 200A BMS. Will the cheaper one (100A BMS) be ok for what I want to do? Total cost for 400AH was like $1528, which I thought was a good deal....Now I have to buy an Inverter or keep the 1000 watt that I have, just not sure of the next move?

Amp hours x Volts = Watts hours
Watt hours / cost = cost per watt hour.
What option is the biggest bang for your buck?
Since your starting from scratch it is easier to pick a direction.
IMO I much rather go with 24v, 36v or 48v over 12v unless we are talking a very small load requirement.
4000 w / 12v = 333.3 amps 0000 gauge wire only handle 260 amps
4000 w / 24v = 166.6 amps 0 gauge wire
4000 w / 36v = 111.1 amps 2 gauge wire
4000 w / 48v = 83.3 amps 4 gauge wire
Really? I'll have 4-100ah BB wired in parallel (4800w)?
(100ah/12) * 4 = 4800

I'll use 4/0 across 8ft to get to the inverter. You're above suggests that's not possible, or at least, shouldn't be done?

Really? I'll have 4-100ah BB wired in parallel (4800w)?
(100ah/12) * 4 = 4800

I'll use 4/0 across 8ft to get to the inverter. You're above suggests that's not possible, or at least, shouldn't be done?
Can you explain? I'm sorry but I am new at this so I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean I should ditch the 1000 watt 12V inverter. I thought maybe I should get something else and IAMRICH above suggested a all in one as then I can add panels easier I guess?

Back