BEST 200/280aH BATTERY DEALs so far for the Week of FEB 28

Dzl

A Danger to Himself and Others
Hi All

This is a very interesting thread and I hope it’s ok for me to bump it after months. So I’m a new member on this forum, I actually found the forum yesterday about an hour after paying a paypal invoice to RJ Energy to ship me 4 no. 100Ah LiFePO4 cells. I don’t suppose I would have placed that order had I read this thread beforehand, because of course my perception was that this was a legit manufacturer in China and a lot of the risk involved in making what is to me a large, expensive purchase, was assuaged by the belief that I was dealing with a large company making a quality product.

OK, so now i have a 40 day anxious wait to see what shows up and how good it is. The video of the swollen cells is a particular worry! Well, i will certainly post up a thread showing the product i receive and will aim to test its capacity.

The price, by the way, was $55 per 100Ah cell, plus $88 shipping to Europe.

That is shit timing, sorry to hear about that. I was never 100% convinced they were a manufacturer, but beyond that I had much the same impression as you in the beginning, they seemed like a slightly safer choice than the grey market sellers. As it turns out they are just another grey market seller masquerading as a manufacturer.

The good news is regardless of how fraudulent, shady and unethical their sales tactics and marketing is, the handful of people that have bought from them have received decent cells and been happy enough with what they received. So even though the company is not what you thought and the cells are not what you thought you were buying, chances are you will receive decent cells, possibly CATL cells, probably the same ones being sold by many other resellers online. It is really frustrating how opaque and buyer-beware this market is.

Best of luck with the cells and please report back when you receive them.

Gazoo

Dumb Dumb
I don't think RJ is a bad company even though they are deceptive. I know that doesn't make sense....lol. From what I have seen here everyone has been happy with them. As far as I know no one has been able to pin down what they manufacture internally. My guess is they don't manufacture any cells. However it's possible they manufacture their drop in batteries using cells from another supplier. So all in all I think you will be ok. And if you do have an issue it's likely RJ will take care of it.

Sverige

A Brit in Sweden
Thanks guys, that’s reassuring. I will remain open minded and will report back (in a new thread in the right part of the forum) on what I receive and probably go into more detail at that stage about my experience of the quote stage.

Dzl

I don't think RJ is a bad company even though they are deceptive. I know that doesn't make sense....lol.

I actually do understand what you mean here.

RJ's latest transgression is plagiarizing Nordkyn Designs excellent LiFePO4 article and publishing it as there own with no credit given.

Between Falsifying certifications, plagiarizing their website content including fake partnerships and deals from another business, explicitly claiming to manufacture cells (even when given multiple chances to gracefully walk back that claim), and now plagiarizing the excellent and well researched work of an author/small businessperson, I can't view them in a remotely positive light, which is disappointing, they had competitive-ish prices, Carl seemed like a nice and knowledgeable fellow, and I really wanted their claims to be true.

Those who have bought from them will most likely fare just fine, but I don't think we should be giving them our business going forward (for our own protection, and to not incentivize such blatantly unethical behavior).

Plus many of the comparative advantages that made them stand out in the person are no longer true: (1) Grade A, tested and matched cells direct from the manufacturer, nope (2) 5-10 year factory warranty, maybe but I wouldn't count on it (3) 6000 Cycles, this was unrealistic to begin with (4) Manufacturer support, nope

Gazoo

Dumb Dumb
RJ's latest transgression is plagiarizing Nordkyn Designs excellent LiFePO4 article and publishing it as there own with no credit given.
Could you post the link where you noticed that? I can't find it on their website but I might not be looking in the right place.

Oldtoad

Solar Enthusiast
Hi All

This is a very interesting thread and I hope it’s ok for me to bump it after months. I’m a new member on this forum; I actually found the forum yesterday about an hour after paying a paypal invoice to RJ Energy to ship me 4 no. 100Ah LiFePO4 cells. I don’t suppose I would have placed that order had I read this thread beforehand, because of course my perception was that this was a legit manufacturer in China and a lot of the risk involved in making what is to me a large, expensive purchase, was assuaged by the belief that I was dealing with a large company making a quality product.

OK, so now I have a 40 day anxious wait to see what shows up and how good it is. The video of the swollen cells is a particular worry! Well, I will certainly post up a thread showing the product i receive and will aim to test its capacity.

Ordered some cells from a high reputation seller, good history.
Doing the long wait here too.
This is more fun than buying Chinese cells from a reputable reseller with a guarantee and a working BMS with temp cut off, ha.

Dzl

Could you post the link where you noticed that? I can't find it on their website but I might not be looking in the right place.

Sure here you go: link

And snippet from an email exchange with the Author:
DZL (email) said:
Subject: Is this your work? Did you consent to it being published there?

This appears to be the same content as what you wrote(?) in your series on lifepo4, if this is your original content, did you consent to it being republished without credit?
Eic @ Nordkyn Designs (email) said:
Hello [DZL],

Yes it is my original text and no, they never asked. Chinese outfit, so it could be pretty hard to get any traction to have it taken down. Others have done it before.

Thanks for flagging it. I will have a closer look tonight. I might be able to get search engines to drop it.

Gazoo

Dumb Dumb
Thanks. I missed it last night even though I looked at the news section. It was late and I was tired.

It certainly is not ethical for RJ to copy Nordkyn's information to their website. And the following is plainly stated in Nordkyn's terms of use. BTW the link to the terms of use should be more visible. It's really tiny.

References or quotations shall follow the fair use policy of the site:
Quoting excerpts of articles or postings is acceptable and permitted provided it can be deemed reasonable use. It must link back to the source, may not include photographs, graphics, animations or material other than a limited amount of text, unless explicitly permitted in writing.

Are the terms of use sufficient to hold up in court? Or would a copyright be needed? I honestly don't know. Will has a copyright on his website but that too should be made more visible. I had to highlight the text so I could read it. Of course I would never copy someone's material without their permission. And in my opinion RJ went over the top here. They know better and they have been warned in the past. It makes one wonder what other no good are they up to. Finally, in case you haven't guessed, I can't and will not recommend them.

Dzl

Are the terms of use sufficient to hold up in court? Or would a copyright be needed? I honestly don't know.
In this case I don't think it matters, practically speaking, an individual in New Zealand(?) undoubtedly has very little practical legal recourse enforcing copyrights on some shady company in China.

But in answer to the specific question, I believe in many countries (including the US, not sure about NZ), copyright is basically a default that original work inherits, that is strengthened by an explicit notice of copyright, but protected even without it, unless more permissive rights are explicitly granted. The caveat here is that copyright and IP law and norms are very complicated with many grey areas. Fair use is allowable, but this is pretty unambiguously not fair use.

Setting aside the legal angle, I think there is a big moral difference between reposting someone's article (in part or in full) with credit and a link to their website and fully plagiarizing it and misrepresenting authorship.

My personal opinion is that Chinese IP law and norms are way too far in one direction and the US is pushing an alternative that has gone waaay too far in the other direction. I am very much a fan of open source and creative commons type frameworks. But this is another much broader and not directly relevant conversation.

sremick

Mostly competent. Knows enough to be dangerous
And this is just one and the latest example of numerous extremely unethical, shady, deceptive, and outright fraudulent behavior by RJ that has been uncovered. I don't care how "good" the products they ultimately deliver are... no business that behaves in that manner should be supported and encouraged by giving them money. A thief that outright stole authentic, quality goods that they then sold on the marketplace would be providing the same "service" to his "customers", but it would be unacceptably naive for the customers to basically turn a blind eye and not care as long as they were happy with the goods they received.

The ends do not justify the means, and if consumers want an ethical marketplace they need to vote with their wallet.

/soapbox

ghostwriter66

"Here - Hold my Beer"
Hi All

This is a very interesting thread and I hope it’s ok for me to bump it after months. I’m a new member on this forum; I actually found the forum yesterday about an hour after paying a paypal invoice to RJ Energy to ship me 4 no. 100Ah LiFePO4 cells. I don’t suppose I would have placed that order had I read this thread beforehand, because of course my perception was that this was a legit manufacturer in China and a lot of the risk involved in making what is to me a large, expensive purchase, was assuaged by the belief that I was dealing with a large company making a quality product.

OK, so now I have a 40 day anxious wait to see what shows up and how good it is. The video of the swollen cells is a particular worry! Well, I will certainly post up a thread showing the product i receive and will aim to test its capacity.

regardless if he is the manufacturer or getting them out the back of a 69 Nova in China -- we have had ZERO - 0 - issues with anything from Carl ... you will get what you ordered ....