diy solar

diy solar

Best 2000 watt pure sign wave inverter under $400

vtx1029

Most of those 12v inverters are junk...

Get on your local craigslist and find a Dimensions or Senata. These inverters are used on ambulances and power company trucks.. They are 12 volt and usually 50 or 60 lbs and rated for between 2000 and 3600 watts at 120 volts. They are NOT the cheap high frequency inverters.. they are low frequency, and will last the rest of your life.
You can usually find them for around $300 used. See photo for example.

The rest of the consumer rated 12v inverters are mostly hobby junk. Some are better than others. I have a couple of GoPower! brand that has gained a good reputation in the RV and boating industry.. But they're just consumer rated as well.

Attachments

• dimensionssuperinverterdui-122600powerinverter.jpg
    dimensionssuperinverterdui-122600powerinverter.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 55
Looking for what people would recommend My max usage will be around 1400 watts (for 30 minutes) I figure I should get a 2000 watt inverter for some wiggle room. Here's what I have for a list.

So if I had to choose between those I would choose the Samlex. Samlex has a great reputation and from what I know great customer support.

There is nothing wrong with a HF inverter as long as it's a good brand, like Samlex is , and it will meet your load surge.

So if I had to choose between those I would choose the Samlex. Samlex has a great reputation and from what I know great customer support.

There is nothing wrong with a HF inverter as long as it's a good brand, like Samlex is , and it will meet your load surge.
They do have good reviews on amazon.. I'm actually a bit surprised by that, but its far too many to be fake.

I've had excellent results with PureSineWaveInverter for almost a year now. It powers the microwave (160A). Check for quiescent current in the specs. Inverters can consume a lot. I only turn the inverter on when needed.

They do have good reviews on amazon.. I'm actually a bit surprised by that, but its far too many to be fake.
I have a cheap 1000 watt inverter I have been using to test the capacity of my bank. I am happy with it but the fans are loud. It's also sold under the more popular "Chinese" brand KRXNY and they manufacture several models. I am going to get something better within a couple months. Samlex manufacturers cream of the crop LF inverters. I would not hesitate to buy anything from them. But some of the cheap inverters aren't all that bad either.

Amazon.com: aeliussine Power Inverter

Found this xantrex model that fits in that price range. So now to decide this or the samlex

I have the 2000 watt PST, which is the big brother to the 2000 watt SSW. There’s a couple of differences which may or may not justify the price. Either way, I’d be very hesitant to run 1400 watts for 30 minutes off 12 volt, even with 4/0 wiring on my FLA batteries / Inverter combo. My microwave will run about that, and I still have not tested that with a bag of microwave popcorn. 1400 watts could pull 110 to 130 amps for 30 minutes, and that would be a heck of a drain on my system.

The SSW is not UL458 rated. UL458 means its a good inverter and will live up to specs. What else UL458 means, I don’t know because I’m unwilling to pay hundrededs of dollars to UL to read the exact specs.

The SSW does not publish “draw with no load,” whereas the PST does. For reference, my PST pulls 1 amp, but the SSW I’m not sure.

The SSW does not have remote monitoring or remote on and off. I’ve noticed an excessive draw by monitoring the remote gauge. So, I was able to go to the crockpot someone plugged in and shut it off, or saw my DC converter, which should not have been on, was drawing 700 watts trying to charge itself, so shut that off. That monitor is not necessary, a battery shunt would have said the same thing, you would not have known if it was the AC or DC.

I had never heard of Samlex until they were spec's for five mountain top radio sites that I was upgrading.

Installation was without issue. When I handed those sites off to my replacement, all of the inverters had been powering equipment 24x7 for seven years trouble free.

If I couldn't have my Xantrex I would settle for Samlex.

UL458 means its a good inverter and will live up to specs.
I think a lot of the UL458 stuff has to do with safety as well? And there are many non UL458 inverters out there that live up to their specs? Even some of the cheaper Chinese ones are good. I think purchasing a non UL listed inverter from Samlex, Xantrex, and inverters made by Sigineer such as Aims and I think Sungoldpower would be a safe bet. Having said that I am doing something a bit sideways and looking into a 24 volt 2000 watt Ampinvt inverter charger. I emailed the company with some questions and received a speedy reply. Unfortunately they are out of that model for at least a month.

Found this xantrex model that fits in that price range. So now to decide this or the samlex

If you search the forums you will find there have been problems with Xantrex. I am not aware off hand of what models and I don't want to sway your decision. But if it was me I would choose Samlex. This is solely my own opinion based on my research.

If you search the forums you will find there have been problems with Xantrex. I am not aware off hand of what models and I don't want to sway your decision. But if it was me I would choose Samlex. This is solely my own opinion based on my research.
I believe this is still the case with the 'lower' lines of Xantrex products, but the Freedom X series was developed under Schneider's ownership, attempting to meet the RV market's demand for AC appliances a few years back, so I see it as a Schneider product more than Xantrex.
http://www.xantrex.com/about-xantre...l_AC_fridge_at_the_National_RV_Tradeshow.aspx

That said, it appears Schneider has decided to spin off Xantrex, and was acquired by Mission Critical Electronics in California:

Which one did you end up getting? I cant decided which one or the differences of their models. i.e. PST, SSW, NTX
I got the Samlex SSW-2000-12a It performs well and handles my 1500watt load just fine, the only complaint is the fans are loud. I do reccomend buying from https://www.donrowe.com if you are in the US. I got their fuse holder, fuse and their 1/0 cables and their stuff is very nice quality and well priced and fast shipping!

I got the Samlex SSW-2000-12a It performs well and handles my 1500watt load just fine, the only complaint is the fans are loud. I do reccomend buying from https://www.donrowe.com if you are in the US. I got their fuse holder, fuse and their 1/0 cables and their stuff is very nice quality and well priced and fast shipping!
Thank you for your response. Im looking at the same one but also trying to look at the footprint of them to make sure I can fit into my case.
Trying to figure out if I want the NTX series as I'm not sure the differences right now other than FCC.

Last edited:
Back