diy solar

diy solar

Best 48 volt inverter/charger

JonA

Hey Guys built an off Grid cabin and am new to Solar. We built at 1500m up a mountain, on a south facing bench with huge sky view in a remote area, no cell service/utilities etc. Its in area that gets up to 60 feet of snow in the winter, and we get between 6-10 feet of snow sitting on the ground in the winter. We are going to live out there full time this winter. Working out my calculation it seems that i am best to go with a 3000W 48 volt system. Been reading lots of reviews and watching videos on different inverters. was looking for advice on the best inverter/charger that is any suggestions for people who are running a similar system? Anyone else built in similar conditions? Would appreciate any other thoughts or advice on solar systems or your experiences living in a similar spot. thanks!

Hey Guys built an off Grid cabin and am new to Solar. We built at 1500m up a mountain, on a south facing bench with huge sky view in a remote area, no cell service/utilities etc. Its in area that gets up to 60 feet of snow in the winter, and we get between 6-10 feet of snow sitting on the ground in the winter. We are going to live out there full time this winter. Working out my calculation it seems that i am best to go with a 3000W 48 volt system. Been reading lots of reviews and watching videos on different inverters. was looking for advice on the best inverter/charger that is any suggestions for people who are running a similar system? Anyone else built in similar conditions? Would appreciate any other thoughts or advice on solar systems or your experiences living in a similar spot. thanks!
Other details of my system: 6 250W solar panels, 20V nominal voltage (2 strings with 3 in series), 8x 232AH 6V marine deep cycle lead acid batteries. Have a generator that is an older style, might look at getting one with an electric start.

Have you done a calculation of how many kWh you anticipate to consumer daily?

How many hours of sunlight per day are there on average during the winter?

You may want to “over solar” to ensure that even on partly sunny/cloudy days you can still generate enough electricity for your daily usage.

Your inverter selection should take into account any starting surge needed for motors.

Sunny Island (my picture) is a good inverter. Also expensive and heavy. It can work with DC coupled PV, or if you add a 120/240V autotransformer, it works with 240V AC coupled PV inverters like Sunny Boy. These should work in extreme environments (although Sunny Island isn't sealed, due to a breaker and SD card on front panel.)

232 Ah FLA probably wants 30A charge rate. Your 1500W of PV might just hit that on a good day.
Best if you put in extra PV, but program for target charge rate. Sunny Island will support that with AC coupled PV. I don't think it can do that with DC coupled.

A hybrid should also support excess PV while limiting charge current.
Or, a Victron system; with a battery shunt and the right components, it will tell SCC how much current to deliver.

I get lots of snow and cold in my area and have 2/3’ on the ground most of the time .
I have a flex power one system from out back 36/48 v it’s dosent take up much space
and really works well.
Mine charges at 1900watts and runs off a Honda 2800 watt inverter generator .
I use about 3200 watts a day in winter , I run the Honda for a hour on day one 2 hours on day 2
3 hours on day 3 on day 4 I full charge with 2 hour absorb
I use 5 gallons of fuel a week with the solar turned off .
I use 16 6 volt golf cart battery’s 215ah
and charge with 295 watt panels 3 panels in 5 strings for 4500watt
I use 10% of my battery over nite so you will probably use 20%
you could just charge every morning for 11/2 hours the lower the battery’s get the more Tim you need to recharge .
You will need more solar I would go double if possible, in june my 4500 watts will bring in 3750 watts an noon
In December 4500watts will bring in 1900 watts an noon
I just run lite, radio, tv , frig small freezer micro wave if the sun is out .
On a dark winter day I get 200/400 watts on a dark summer day in June I get 5/700 watts
last winter my panels where iced over the day after Christmas and stayed covered for 10 weeks ☹️ I used around 50 gallons of fuel the year before I used 25 gallons .
230C6A07-4AF7-4DCC-8511-30078B4F1188.jpeg90FB3FF9-E334-4546-BB19-85C505CB2423.jpeg

The best thing you can do is make an itemized list of what you want to power before you start purchasing stuff. Off the top of my head, I'd say double everything you've mentioned, as I consider what you are putting together inadequate. Instead of 1500W of panels have 3000. I started with 4500W. Instead of 3000W inverter, have one that's at least 6000W. I have a XW+6848. I have 568Ah of battery, instead of 232Ah. I've never had any that small.

Plan for a system that can handle 2X what you expect to run and you most likely will NEVER have a problem.

BTW, I have my panels on rotating pole mounts like the pic, and when adjusted to their winter angle, the snow just slides off in a day. That being said, I've never seen 6' of snow, more like 6".

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 16
Back