diy solar

diy solar

Best 48v 30K surge split phase inverter for solar, stackable OK...also best lithium batteries

markyyork

I'm working up to self sufficient energy thru solar...one step at a time. I've got a very little now...450 watts...gotta start somewhere! It opens and closes the automatic chicken doors I built! And a couple lights. I learned the hard way about pure sine...had a chest freezer running in the daytime on a modified sine wave..."had" being the operative word...made me sad to lose all those frozen chickens...:cry: But I learned and plan to buy Tier 1 stuff here on out.

I came into a little money...less than $10K...and want to be smart. I think getting the must haves like inverter and batteries is top of the list but I'm open to be convinced otherwise if necessary. I'm wanting to know the best brand for a big inverter that will run everything. 48v up to 30K with surges. My hvac can surge up to 18000watts I'm told. It's a 5 ton. That plus the 13K-20K "normal" stuff that I have going continually. I figured I can run things on a schedule and get by with 13K...20K if I just run everything all the time...hmmm...might need a bit more. But that's why I started this discussion. Hoping to get some expert help and pointed in the right direction. Time is short and need to get ready for the storm!

Thanks yall!!

my MPP 6K won't run my electric wood spliter, even starting up it sounds funny. Everything else seems fine to run. I think sometimes its hit and miss on what will/won't run on inverters. Just my limited view though.

$10 grand doesn't seem like enough to buy top of the line 30 k stuff.

My growatt ran a 5ton with no issues: I ended up running two of them one for each panel.

NC...nope...$10K is just a start. That's why I'm looking at the most important stuff first. I figure I can get a great inverter, 100amp hours of lithium at 48v and MAYBE something else...like copper or a panel or two.

the specs on that growatt says it supports li ion. would it support lifepo4? or is that the same thing? they sell a liefpo4 battery in 100ah at the same place for around $1500. Is there a better deal somewhere on the battery?

the specs on that growatt says it supports li ion. would it support lifepo4? or is that the same thing? they sell a liefpo4 battery in 100ah at the same place for around $1500. Is there a better deal somewhere on the battery?
It does, I have 3 57kw lifepo4 banks connected to them, I not sure on better pricing for battery banks since I went diy.

NC...nope...$10K is just a start. That's why I'm looking at the most important stuff first. I figure I can get a great inverter, 100amp hours of lithium at 48v and MAYBE something else...like copper or a panel or two.
A really good inverter that can handle big surges from ac units is the Outback Radian 8048.
You'll need to use at least two of them.

I have a buddy who swears by this huge SunGold Power 18 kw unit ; it can also handle big power surges:

I have a buddy who swears by this huge SunGold Power 18 kw unit ; it can also handle big power surges:

Never heard of this one, underside is similar to growatt, the extra 6k would have been nice. The only two issues are connected array input is very low and its only 145v input. If your array size is small then the 145v is not a big deal. 250v will save you a bunch on combiners and wiring.

Never heard of this one, underside is similar to growatt, the extra 6k would have been nice. The only two issues are connected array input is very low and its only 145v input. If your array size is small then the 145v is not a big deal. 250v will save you a bunch on combiners and wiring.
Yeah, my friend has been using his SunGold for a couple of years with no problems.
He didn't use the SCC controller; he uses two Midnite solar controllers for his PV.
The 18kw is a monster; weighs about 220 lbs with a big solid copper transformer.
The 8kw Outback is about 190 lbs. All of the low frequency inverters are heavy.

K5...when you say DIY on batteries do you mean you built your own out of individual cells? I'm looking into that and wondering if there's any downside as long as you use 100% (equal or greater than 3.2v) cells?

K5...when you say DIY on batteries do you mean you built your own out of individual cells? I'm looking into that and wondering if there's any downside as long as you use 100% (equal or greater than 3.2v) cells?
It's super easy and filterguy even made a nice document on configurations: It's just time consuming if you make your own busbars.
I have dual 4p16s for the hvac, mini split, waterheater, tv room, 3rd 4p16s for the rest of the house.

Attachments

• PB110011.JPG
    PB110011.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 16
  • PB110012.JPG
    PB110012.JPG
    362.3 KB · Views: 18
  • PB110013.JPG
    PB110013.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 15
  • PB110014.JPG
    PB110014.JPG
    407.3 KB · Views: 11
  • PB110015.JPG
    PB110015.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 11
  • PB110016.JPG
    PB110016.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 11
  • PB110017.JPG
    PB110017.JPG
    307.7 KB · Views: 11
A really good inverter that can handle big surges from ac units is the Outback Radian 8048.
You'll need to use at least two of them.

Massive transformer in those things.

Back