diy solar

diy solar

Best all-in-one box for my cabin

JasonS

I have an existing 24V off grid solar system that works okay but I'm not happy with the Growatt all-in-one box. I have 3000watts of solar panels. There are 4, 24 V 100 amp hour liFePO4 batteries (home made from cells & BMS). The Growatt SPF3000TL LVM all-in-one seems weak. It occasionally faults with overload (code 8) where the MPP LV3KVA-24 never did. Unfortunately, I killed the MMP while learning how to build the system.
The loads are: Computer, TV, cell phone booster, small freezer, clothes washer & gas heat dryer, 1/2 horse well pump. Propane refrigerator and stove.
Is it my imagination that the MMP system is more robust? I want to buy a back up all-in-one box and would greatly appreciate your help.

Is it my imagination that the MMP system is more robust? I want to buy a back up all-in-one box and would greatly appreciate your help.
It may be. Or settings parameters are a bit different. But having said that MPPSolar products appear to have more happy people but that’s anecdotal. I’d be inclined to get another MPPSolar unit, sell the growatt, and buy a component inverter and an SCC like Epever for backups. That’s basically what I have going now.

Did both the MPP and Growatt power your well-pump? Is that when you would get an overload? Is your well-pump 120VAC? Looking at this pump chart, it appears that startup for a 1/2hp pump would be 5100W for about 500milliseconds. With a load like this, I think you'd be better served with a low-frequency transformer-based inverter, rather than a high-frequency AiO.

Could you go into more detail as to what killed the MPP?
1657414442740.png

Back