diy solar

diy solar

Best Bang for my Buck - Solar Generator

Jenna

I am looking to purchase a solar generator as a backup if the grid goes down. I have a dual fuel generator (Fuel/LP), but want solar now. With the supply
chain issues and gas prices, I'm afraid fuel will be tough to get in time. I am a female with barely any solar knowledge, only from watching Will
for many years. I'm looking to spend around $1500 to keep my standard frig/fan/few lights and possibly a window AC unit. I'm guessing I will
need to alternate Frig & AC because I won't have the much power with a smaller unit.
Can anyone recommend a unit that would be good for this purpose ? How do I maintain it when not in use ? I will probably never use it if the grid stays up
and fuel stay available. Is this a good investment or wasting my money? I'm not sure what other questions to ask. Any advice would be greatly appreciately.

FIrst, check out Media U inverter window AC if you are in the market, depending on temperature, they could run a few hundred watts/hour.

Refrig is about 2kwh/day, fan 1kw, lights 500w, AC could be 10kwh/day if 24 hours.

So you'd need at least 5kwh batteries, and a bunch of panels, at least 2kw, which brings you up to about a 2400w inverter, check out the all in one units like MPP/Growatt ($600), but the batteries alone are at your $1500 budget (EG4 rack), unless you DIY some chinese prismatics+BMS.

Find some used panels, it could be done..

Correction, *MIDEA (often on sale for under $300)

1655367512584.png

Here is mine running from almost 9pm to now
(I turned temp from 71 to 72 at midnight, ~500 watts/hour avg, higher temp setting. is much le$$, this is in FL heat)

1655367670236.png

Battery started at only 89% full at 9pm, now 55%, but this is 15kwh of batteries

1655367868102.png

Thank you for all the information. I am looking into the individual pieces in first post. However, I'm not sure I'm capable of
putting it all together on my own. I might be better off with a single enclosed unit.

You wont find an 'enclosed' unit that meets your needs for that price or at all, most have very low watt ratings.
And you'd still have to hook up solar with potentially cumbersome adapters, here is rough equiv, $6000 (but only 600w solar, not enough capacity in panels nor controller):

1655384098454.png

Will P has videos on this below, not difficult. At a minimum, you'll need to cut and screw in a 14AWG extension cord to run AC power to/from unit, and cable the batteries w/4AWG, with something like this, which last quote I got was $575 shipped, DHL direct from Taiwan:

1655383438826.png

This inverter can handle more panel$ https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-3kw-off-grid-inverter-3000ehv-48/
(so you could get whole system from that company, battery, inverter, maybe panel$$)

And maybe get a $100 combiner box (DC breaker/w disconnect)
note this below only handles 1400w solar at 24vdc, there are more powerful options, but this is optional, esp. if in a temporary setup (less lightning risk):

1655383528660.png

I am looking to purchase a solar generator as a backup if the grid goes down. I have a dual fuel generator (Fuel/LP), but want solar now. With the supply
chain issues and gas prices, I'm afraid fuel will be tough to get in time. I am a female with barely any solar knowledge, only from watching Will
for many years. I'm looking to spend around $1500 to keep my standard frig/fan/few lights and possibly a window AC unit. I'm guessing I will
need to alternate Frig & AC because I won't have the much power with a smaller unit.
Can anyone recommend a unit that would be good for this purpose ? How do I maintain it when not in use ? I will probably never use it if the grid stays up
and fuel stay available. Is this a good investment or wasting my money? I'm not sure what other questions to ask. Any advice would be greatly appreciately.
Hi Jenna. I have a Bluetti EB200 and a 1st generation Ecoflow Delta. My EF Delta ran our 7cf chest freezer well over 10 hours. I bought it De. 2020. It was one of a very few around. Now everybody is making them. I dislike it does NOT have the longer lasting lifepo4 battery. Everything else suits my needs for items I want to run for its capacity. My newest purchase is from this Spring and it DOES have the lifepo4 battery. I ran some tests on it including a standard not so new fridge and 2 different air conditioners. One was bedroom traditional window AC and the other is a mini split HVAC. You can see my results in the microsystem section titled "Anyone Have The Bluetti EB200?" That may help you. I have also learned not all enery efficient models are the same. Meaning the current models will be more efficient than older models. However, overall durability of current products over older ones may be a different issue based on many reviews from the big box DIY stores like Home Depot and Lowes. Also, I am female also and older. Please don't feel alone.

Hi, Jenna, what solar generator did you choose in the end? In my opinion, in addition to the general functions of solar generators, girls also need to consider the appearance of solar generators, and consider whether they are easy to move and move. Like infinity 1500, the appearance is designed with two handles, which is convenient for one person or two people to lift together To move it, if there is only one handle, it is not easy to lift it with one hand, because female need a lot of strength to carry it with one hand, which is more difficult.

1661933741374.png

Back