diy solar

diy solar

"Best" battery capacity tester with data logging

McCarthy

Solar Enthusiast
What's the "best" battery capacity tester with data logging on Win 10? I saw Will using some graphical data output on one of his videos but can't find it. Anybody know what he is using?

I do not know if this one is the best or not.
There is this one made by ZKE TECH (they make many type of unit):

And here is the video from one of the member, it is a small unit:

Will answered my question in today's video :)

CBA IV - Computerized Battery Analyzer and the big brother.

Changed my mind and ordered a proper lab grade load. Comes with excellent computer interface and software for logging.

1620325021787.png

1620325258727.png

I use ET5410 (multiple) connected to a busbar. 400 watts each, or 40 amps each as a cell tester, 28 amps each for a 12v pack test, etc. Riden 6018 (multiple) for charging, again, same busbar. Both have software with logging that runs fine on Windows 10, both come standard with USB interfaces.

EBC-A40L is great for testing cells, but is limited to 5v at 40a charge and discharge.

The results are very informative. No need to charge above 3.4v per cell, just charge at 3.4v per cell and let current dwindle, that gets you 99%. Don't discharge below 3.0v per cell, that gets you about 98% without any stress on the cells. Cells will warm up about 5 degrees Celsius if discharged at high amps below 3.1v.

Do you run the ridens in parallel? I have 2 6012s and was seeing if I could parallel the outputs to charge faster

And then . ..?

Whats the product and url for this please?
I can recommend the ET5410, it will do 40 amps for a cell. 28 amps for 12v battery, 14 amps for 24v battery, etc.

Much cheaper directly from China.

I've also tried the Kunkin KP184, but unless you use a PC, the display makes it really hard to set up. The place I purchased from apparently no longer carries it.

Both are high quality, and will let you test individual cells at 40 amps. Many reviews on the KP184, but I've purchased 4 of the ET5410 (just because it is so much easier to set up to do a manual test).

To do cells, best thing on the market, 40 amp charger and 40 amp electronic load, I paid $173.63 (including shipping, but shipping took 3 months). Decent data logging software. They have jacked up the price A LOT since I ordered it, but even so, worth the money. You can easily do a full cycle test per day (in other words, plan on doing a cell per day, depending on what you want to do).

Last edited:
Do you run the ridens in parallel? I have 2 6012s and was seeing if I could parallel the outputs to charge faster

Yes, you can parallel them. But be careful if doing 48v batteries, you can use a lot of power at that voltage. However the 6012 model would only be 720 watts at full output, so two on a single circuit isn't bad.

If you need the full output, the 800 watt supply won't put out the necessary 720 watts for long, great video that explains the problem and how to fix it (part of a 4 part series, Jerry Walker is great).

Easy to get parts to make the fix (and yes, I tested at full output).

You will also need these.

Or just order the 1000 watt supply they now carry (they say to limit it to 950 watts for 120 volts).

If you are only doing cells or 12v and 24v batteries, don't worry. Really, once you use one of these Riden, you won't want to use anything else.

I have 4 of the RD6018.

THANKS!

I don't have any more time to waste on China, I need some "Get it done right now" solutions.

I tried to buy some from folks here, looks like I'll head to Amazon.

And then . ..?

Whats the product and url for this please?

Rigol DL3021A

20210515_032158.jpg

I signed up for B2B and got for like 550 or so.
I purchased the ET5410 for $204 including shipping. Same capabilities, i.e. 40 amps at 3.65v, and 400 watts (which means 28 or so amps at 12v). My Kunkin was slightly cheaper around $180 including shipping, and included a calibration certificate dated January 11, 2021.

It pays to shop around. The Kunkin is a real pain to set up manually, BTW. Much better to use the software.

I purchased the ET5410 for $204 including shipping. Same capabilities, i.e. 40 amps at 3.65v, and 400 watts (which means 28 or so amps at 12v). My Kunkin was slightly cheaper around $180 including shipping, and included a calibration certificate dated January 11, 2021.

It pays to shop around. The Kunkin is a real pain to set up manually, BTW. Much better to use the software.

I wanted to stick with a known brand and the Rigol fit right into my stack.

1631988488418.png

Wow, I'm sold on the ET5410 if it has the same capabilities, options, interface, software etc as the rigol, that is amazing!

Wow, I'm sold on the ET5410 if it has the same capabilities, options, interface, software etc as the rigol, that is amazing!
The ET5410 is not a 4 wire tester. That means no sense leads. The Kunkin is a 4 wire tester if that is important to you.

Back